1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Pump Shotguns for Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mkraig, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkraig

mkraig TS Member

I am desperately trying to avoid having to spend $2000-4000 on a trap gun, esp. since I also shoot 5-stand and skeet and already have a much-loved 26" Winchester SX2 black synthetic field gun for those purposes. However, I also now know, from hard experience, that (at least for me) field guns or sporting clays guns just don't work for me on the trap range. Tried a Win. Signature Red Sporting model (30" barrel) on the trap range, and I loved its reliability, ease of cleaning, etc., but it simply wasn't set up to have a consistent POI for rising birds (tried adjusting the stock but it never got past being a "flat shooter") - and also, there were the shells that spit out two rows to my right, and no shell catchers on the market.

Meanwhile, when I shot a true trap gun (a borrowed Urika trap model), which allowed me to "float" the targets and keep them in sight at all times, I hit 23/25 easily. Like fish in a barrel. Even though it was a windy day.

So this gets me to the cheaper end of pump shotguns engineered for trap (as opposed to break-opens): a Browning BPS Trap model (fairly new) or the Remington Classic Trap. First is about $650 and the 2nd is about $1000. I know a friend with the Rem. Classic and it feels good when I shoulder it; however, after just 150 or so rounds on the range, his trigger assembly wiggles around a little bit - despite the pins being in - and I've heard about some very recent quality control problems on the 870 Wingmaster (not just the Express, which we all know is at the cheap end, but the Wingmaster itself).

Any opinions out there on which pump to get? I wish Winchester had made an SX2 trap model with shell catcher option; I really like their autoloaders. But alas, they do not. And the Urika is $2000+.

-Mike Kraig

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If you want to stick with a pump, find yourself a Model 12 Winchester.

Try one............you'll like it!

Hauxfan!

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

Could always try a used Beretta 303 or 390 if the Urika is too expensive.

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I would go with a new remington 870 classic. They used to be very very very popular on the trap range. It still is quite a good gun.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

get yourself a used rem 870 TB, 30 inch full choke. you can purchase a good used one for $350.00 to 450.00. very reliable and hits targets with authority. seems like your on a budget, best deal for the money. if you want a pump and can spend more, nothing nicer than a wincheter model 12 trap gun. find one that fits you, it will last you a lifetime. also one of my favorite guns for trap is an old style bt99 made prior to 1976.
    steve balistreri

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Buy yourself a BPS trap and don't look back. The choke tubes will interchange with your SX2. The only negative to the BPS trap is the trigger. They are pretty lousy as trap trigger, but a descent gunsmith should be able to fix that for less than $50.

I would shop the price of $650 a bit as they can be had for a bit less than that.

ec90t

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If your willing to spend $1000 and like autoloaders and the SX2 as well, then look for an original SX1 trap.

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

AND A BROWNING points like NO other. BUT, beware of people that "Can't see if your gun is loaded". I have a BPS and they are GREAT......think I payed $550 for mine, I'm left handed and the BPS is a PLUS. If I didn't already have an SKB unsingle or a BT100.........My BPS "TRAP" ....would be my GUN. Think I'll take it out NEXT time. Do a search here (as I did)on Browning BPS trap.GREAT GUN for the money.

9. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S. I've also seen MANY a bird broken with a GOOD 870 or a Model 12.

10. mkraig

mkraig TS Member

Hi all, and thanks for fast replies!

I forgot to mention that one thing I liked about the o/u citoris or cynergies or whatever was the unusually wide ribs, which I think the Urika I tried also had to some extent. Do the old Win. model 12s, the old Remington 870 TB, or the old SX1 Trap have a bit wider ribs on the sight plane at all? The rib on the 870 Wingmaster Trap (new models) is very narrow, just like a "normal" 870.

In any case, what I hear is:

--stay away from cheap o/us. I agree. I don't think a $1000 o/u (or even $2000) is necessarily as good in quality as my $600 SX2 field gun, which IMO is as good an autoloader as any on the market. But a cheaper o/u is not as good as any on the market; i know that from listening to stories at the club.

--if I do pump, don't forget the older Rems and Wins (M. 12; 870 TB); don't rule out buying used. Thanks, point taken. Any advice on where to look?

--if I like SX2 so much, get an SX1 Trap. QUESTION: REALLY? They made these?! Do they have shell catchers? There is no such thing as a shell catcher for an Sx2 or SX3.

--And if I buy new...the BPS Trap is solid. I believe this; Browning has very good reputation for things built like tanks.

-Mike Kraig

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

There are a lot of good quality used O/U for less than a $1000.00. Browning Citori, Charles Daly, SKB, Beretta, Winchester 101, etc. Indiana Gun Club must have 50 of them. Plus if you decide to shoot doubles, you don't have to take that shell catcher off. I have a Winchester Super X-1, the finest auto ever made. T&S did make another run of shell catchers for the Super X-1, you have to modify the handle to use it. Wayne

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you want a shell catcher...they don't come any cheaper than those thick blue rubber bands that come on broccoli and asperagrass in the grocery stores.

Just stretch them and shove your shotgun through intil tit is about 1/2 across the shell port...when it finally wears out...buy some more veggies!

13. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I've got an 870 express that I've put a 30" full barrel on and a stock from a slug gun. I had a local gun smith build me a trigger to replace the stock express trigger for about 75.00. I recently replaced the hard rubber but pad with a Kickeze and that made a lot of difference in the gun.
    I won the short yardage state handicap in Oklahoma several years ago with that gun. I don't think you can beat a 870. They last forever and are cheap to repair if needed.
    Find a decent used one and fix it like you want it.
    If you want to go to a trap gun in the $1,000.00 range look at the Browning BT99 they shoot forever and you can find a used one for well under that amount. I've never seen a BT99 break during a shoot.
    Good luck, and remember it ain't the arrow, it's the indian.
    Paul

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

BPS is light, other than that it's fine. Ot very popular, though. get a BT99, you can trade up much easier in the years to come. NOt many people will wnat your used BPS unless you give it away.

1100's are great. You will buy a few parts, but will have an inex[pensive good shooting easy resale gun.

HM

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ahab, was that guy dressed on top like Santa today, at Redlands, with the factory engraved Model 12 giving out those blue rubber bands? Do those rubber bands hold up at Redlands during the smog season? Will the sulphur in the rubber band hurt the finish on the gun?

Inquiring minds. (Ask all sorts of strange questions...)

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

As far as pump guns go. The model 12 is tops in pointabiliy, but the cost of a good used one is getting up there. They can be found if you shop hard enough.--- The BPS is a very reliable gun as points well. One advantage is that it throws the shells downward so it is ideal for both left and right handers.--- The 870 is VERY solid and more afordable in most caases. Your BEST bet is a used TB model or cheaper yet find a 30" ribbed or Rem choke barreld one and simply put a trap stock on it.

17. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

If you really like shooting your SX2, then install a Tom Morton internal shell catcher. I helped him create one for my SX2, and it works beautifully. For more info on these, go to http://tommortonandcompany.com and read about the MASC-MGORR.

Simply, when just one shell is loaded, as for Trap singles/Hcap, it won't eject when fired. When two are loaded for doubles, the first one ejects (but NOT 2 counties over) and the second stays in gun. Keeps your shooting buddies on your right happy!

AndyH

18. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Mike,

First, learn how to shop. Not trying to disparage, so here are the examples.

Remington Classic Trap. You might not want this one, it says 14" LOP, might have been shortened (might only be a bad measurement). $499.99 starting bid. Others new from $739.00.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117544624

Browning BPS Trap. $549.95 NIB. I have one, and it points where I look.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117722167

Beretta Urika Trap. $900.00. Softer shooting, need shell catcher, have to clean it some, find friendly folks to shoot next to on doubles.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117985584

www.indianagunclub.com has a couple of Urika Traps for $795.00.

There's at least one on here, 32" barrel.

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=172748&Messages=2

You won't lose much on any of the "starter" guns above. If you have to give the BPS away for half price, you've had some good shooting for a couple of hundred dollars.

I just saved you a lot of cash (maybe, till you get the P-gun or K-gun itch), so send me a Christmas Card.

Danny

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Not yet mentioned is the new Ithaca 37 Trap. Jaquas has several demo guns for around 800. I dont know anything about them and an earlier thread got no results of anyone having shot one.

If you are close to the Ohio area you might try one. Gas is falling and it might be worth the trip. Jaqua always has a lot of used guns including consignments.

Happy hunting....Gerald

20. DJM

DJM Member

I never could get the hang of the load/unload sequence with my bottom eject pump (Ithaca 37). Sometimes even on a 5 man squad I would not be ready to shoot when it was my turn. I was shooting at a club where any hull that hit the ground belonged to the club but I wanted to save my empties to reload. Unless I cycled the pump with some force it was prone to jamb. But then it was difficult to catch the empty hull. Plus there was no way to load with the pump slide to the rear. I had to cycle the slide twice for each shot. With an 870 I can pull the slide back gently and easily catch my empty. Then with the action still open from the side of the receiver easily drop in a new shell. At my turn push the slide forward and call for the bird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.