1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on PSF about Comb height

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dove Commander, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I shoot my PSF on doubles with an MX2000 O/U. It has the standard comb. I bought a MX-10 topsingle to use on that frame and had Laibs add 2 notches so I could raise the rib and make it shoot higher. Now I'm out of adjustment on the comb. Will the ultimate comb go higher than the standard comb?

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Doesn't raising the rib, increasing the distance between the front bead and the barrel, make the gun shoot flatter, not higher? And yes it is my understanding the ultimate fit comb is for higher rib guns. Jake

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The ultimate fit comb will go as high as the posts will allow. You'll only have a little over 1/2" of play from top to bottom w/ out changing posts however.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

j2, the MX-10 rib is similiar to a Seitz. It pivots in the middle, Raise the back at the receiver/lower the front at the bead. By "raise" I'm referring to raising the back/receiver end of the rib. Thus, I need to raise the comb to get the rib alignment and POI I want.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

After measuring the threaded rods that adjust height, I would need 1 1/2" long rods to get it where I need it. It's strange, the MX2000 barrels only require 7/8" rods. Must be alot of difference between the MX2000 and the MX10 barrels.

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

7. vdt

vdt Active Member

PerazziBigBore is right on,i build just what you need ,have made lots ,if you like e-mail me and i will send you pictures of the ones i have in stock,thank you....vdt

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

No offense to vdt (or pbb) but I would get the ultimate fit comb. why lock yourself into a fixed comb with no adjustment other than height? just my take on it is all.

the UFC has 3 sets of posts (different heights), two different plates (one has WAY more offset) and a host of washers.

and you still have the option of flipping the block to raise or lower the comb.

check out the thread "ultimate fit comb kudos" - includes pictures of the setup and complete kit.

consider both options fully then decide but you should have no problem getting the desired comb height.

9. vdt

vdt Active Member

PerazziBigBore is right on,i build just what you need ,have made lots ,if you like e-mail me and i will send you pictures of the ones i have in stock,thank you....vdt

10. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

No offense to vdt (or pbb) but I would get the ultimate fit comb. why lock yourself into a fixed comb with no adjustment other than height? just my take on it is all.

the UFC has 3 sets of posts (different heights), two different plates (one has WAY more offset) and a host of washers.

and you still have the option of flipping the block to raise or lower the comb.

check out the thread "ultimate fit comb kudos" - includes pictures of the setup and complete kit.

consider both options fully then decide but you should have no problem getting the desired comb height.

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

PBB, my unit is already flipped. The top of my comb will need to be nearly 2" above the mounting bracket that the comb bolts into. I plan to call Vern tomorrow and chat with him. Will the Ultimate Comb go that high? I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

12. vdt

vdt Active Member

i do not want to bad mouth Vern product but it does not feel like a wooden stock...vdt

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Thanks for the info stubs. I had thought about glueing an 1/8" thick block on top of the comb mounting block, but didn't know if it would stay put. The MX-10 takes a special set up, probably similiar to a 80/120 Seitz. PBB, my MX2000 O/U barrel works fine with PFS for doubles. I bought an extra comb for the MX 10 top single barrel and just carry the xtra comb in my P-gun case. The comb has to be raised about 1/2" to work on the MX10. Weird!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.