1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Promo Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Can somebody tell me if the bushing chart for Red Dot applies to Promo powder as well, and if not, can somebody tell me what MEC bushing number they are using to drop 19.6 grains of Promo? Thanks in advance. JM

2. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I load 18.7 gr in my handicap load and use a 32 bushing. I would say you are going to be at least a 34 bushing but be sure and use a scale.

Matt Krizinski

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

USE A SCALE!!!! Reguardless of chart!!! USE A SCALE !!! Jake

4. twopipe

twopipe Member

the same bushing can drop more in a Mec 600 than in a 650/grabber, so you better buy a scale !

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

It's simply amazing how many "reloaders" ask questions about bushing sizes for XXX powder when it's obvious they do not use or have a scale! Hopefully, their mishaps will only hurt them, and not others! The depth of the gene pool just keeps getting lower and lower!

AndyH :-|

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I started loading shotgun shells in the 60's with a Herter loader and never used a scale until the 80's. However, I now have several and use them regularly but honestly don't believe that it will ever cause a problem using recommended bushing. They will either be a little short or a little over and never cause a problem as long as you don't get the charts mixed up for the wrong powder. It's not near as serious as loading rifle or pistol loads. You will notice that many people say that you can use Red dot charts for Promo but if you go to their web site you will find that they don't recommend it to be used in place of many red dot loads. Flame away. Jackie B.

7. josh b

josh b TS Member

recomended starting point for promo is 2 bushings less then red dot for the same powder drop. hope this helps josh

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

On my Pacific (Hornaday) 366 the last four jugs have been either a 441 or a 444 to drop approx 17.8 of Promo depending on the jug.

It varies, but I have not seen wild swings..... I say weigh it. I never trust bushing recommendations, they are a starting point.

SW

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

That is all I wanted was a starting point and thanks to all that tried to help. I do have a scale that I use regularly and hopefully that will keep me out of the gene pool that the all knowing and self-important super humans refer to. JM

10. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Alliant has recipes for Promo right on their website. I've played with nitroglycerine in various forms - but never without a scale.

If you’re not using the Alliant chart for Promo and you’re not using the Mec bushing chart in unison with a scale – then you’re playing with dynamite.

Sam

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sam- Is Promo a double based powder (nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin) or a single base powder of nitrocellulose?

Pat Ireland

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well shucks, there, Homer. If you can get on TS.com you have a computer.

Then you can get on the Alliant Website. Uhhhhh....next you find your load. If you don't have a scale you need one.

Does TS.com really need to be the answer mommie? I guess for some folks it does.

HM

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Pat asked: "Sam- Is Promo a double based powder (nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin) or a single base powder of nitrocellulose? "

It is a double-based powder according the the label on the jug.

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bushing chart for promo powder

mec bushing chart for promo powder