1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question on powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cwcroft58, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Cwcroft58

Cwcroft58 Member

Has or does,anyone use Bullseye for traploads ? I can only find loads for 1 oz load,but that will do. I have an unopened 8 lb keg from when I shot a lot of pistol and want to use it up if I can.
    Thank for lookin..

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have heard of guys using Bullseye in super light 7/8 Oz target loads but it just seems like an accident waiting to happen. Bullseye is still very popular pistol powder - you should be able to trade it off or sell it without too much trouble. An unopened keg of this stuff is hard to come by these days.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

IMO, it is dangerous to use Bullseye for shot shell. Pressure builds too fast and a mistake in measuring charge weight could more quickly result in a bad ending.

Ed Ward

4. uplate

uplate TS Member

Lots of opinions here but not many facts. Older Hercules data shows many 1 oz
    loads using Bullseye in charges up to 19 grs with some wads and hulls. I have
    used many 8 lb kegs in loading many thousands of 1 oz loads with 16 grs for a
    nice light load. There is very little difference in burning rate between
    Bullseye and several other fast burners like 700X, Clays, Titewad and several
    others. Says "Great for light 12 ga loads" right on the label of an 8 lb keg.
    Guess the naysayers never noticed this. Use your Bullseye and don't worry.

5. scorpman

scorpman Member

flipping through an old reloading manual I noticed recipes for 7/8oz 12ga loads using Bullseye. It caught my attention since I had a lot on hand for my pistol loads. A little research will get you some safe load recipes.

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

uplate must have stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night. Bullseye is an excellent powder for loading one ounce 12 gauge shot shells.

It is no more dangerous than any other powder. Pressure rises quickly if you use too much. Ok, same thing happens with Red Dot and any other quick burning powders. That is the reason why you don't see any 1300fps 1 1/8 oz loads for Red Dot or 700X, and no 1 1/4 loads.

Michael

7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I went on the Alliant web site,and for what its worth they only list it as a pistol powder. I would trade it off for a more "frendly" powder

8. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Since you mentioned you have loads for 1 oz. using Bullseye, I won't list all that I have from an older Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook.

All use 1 oz. or less shot. In a Fed hull, one uses a Fed 12SO wad with a W209 primer and 19.5 gr Bullseye for a velocity of 1266 and a pressure of 8,000 LUP. You could probably drop that a half a grain to start.

The loads are there, I'm sure they're safe. If you're OK with a 1 oz. load, give it a try, you may like it for 16 yard. Besides, you have enough for over 2,800 rounds!

9. Cwcroft58

Cwcroft58 Member

Many thanks for the replys. I will weight the pros and cons ,and the powder too, and decide what I want to do. this is a great site for just about everything,, AND may God bless Leo Harrison. I saw him ,his dad ,and his grandfather all shooting on the same trap at the Grand years ago,, I think the year was 1976.