1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on pattering

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Pattern my perazzi today at 25 yards. I am a right hand right eye dominant shooter. When i shoot at the pattering board with both eyes open the pattern is 6 inch to 9 inches high above center. When i pattern the gun with one eye and holding at the bottom of my circle the pattern is 21 to 25 inches high. What's that telling me? I also noticed that when i look at the target with two eyes barrel is considereable amount under target. One eye is easier to hold on bottom of target.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's telling you just what I've been telling you for years, Earl. Freehand POI testing doesn't tell you what you need to know. You need to do this off a rest, many shots, several days. Then you will know where your gun shoots. (And until you do that, you won't.)

Neil

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil. Off a rest it will be. 25 yards ok? Do i use both eyes open or just one? I normally shoot both eyes open but it seems i am have a hard time getting accurate bird to bead relationship. It could be because of my catract operation or detached retnia operation.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you want to determine how high your gun shoots, I suggest shooting at a target 13 yards away and use a solid rest. Shoot several targets. At 25 yards, accurately judging the center of the pattern can become difficult.

Pat Ireland

5. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I perfer to use my fullest choke at 35 yards. Fire from a rest at least 5 times using the same point of aim and the center will be more obvious. Shot drops 4 inches at 40 yards, shooting at 13 yards omits the drop effect.

Then go to post 3 and shoot straightaways and make sure you are smoking them. For every 1/16" you raise the comb your point of impact changes by 2".

Charlie

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

Am I going to be like Snyder when I get old...?

Does this happen to all of us...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.