Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question on optics

947 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Brian in Oregon 
#1 ·
What brand & type of optics do most of the ground troops have on their M-16's?

#4 ·
ACOG And some nifty laser sight that you can only see with with the night vision goggles on. That's what #2 son has on his anyway. Jim

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Randy%20in%20Iraq/?action=view&current=100_0363.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

#5 ·
I have an EOTech 552 on my AR15. Yeah, it's got features that I'll probably never use, like diving to 10 meters or using night vision (which in Oregon is not lawful for hunting, which is a pity as it would be the cat's meow for night coyoting). These units work great for CQB, but still have a useful 1 MOA dot for longer ranges. (There's even bullet drop compensation models for .223 and .308 now with extra dots).

Some find the holographic display to be a bit fuzzy. I would recommend anyone considering one actually look through one before buying. Most people really like it, but some don't. I'd prefer a bit more definition. The Leupold version of the CQB sight is much crisper, but it also has a crapload of parallax, while the EOTech has absolutely no parallax. On the other hand, the Leupold is also magnified, while the EOTech isn't (though magnifiers are optional $$$).

If you want something with a more solid display, the Leupold 1.5-5x Vari-X III with illuminated reticle is a good non-military alternative, and is perhaps a bit more useful for hunting. The illuminated reticle is much smaller than that of the EOTech, so it isn't quite as useful for tactical work. But the magnification makes it more useful for hunting.

There are "flip to the side" auxiliary 3x or 4x magnifiers available for the EOTech. The 4x is far more expensive than the EOTech itself.

If you want a budget EOTech, Bushnell sells the non-military version under the Bushnell Holosight name. They lack things like the armored shield, enhanced waterproofing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.