1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on old style AA hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birddog1964, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I just bought a bunch of red AA hulls and they are not hs, can someone please post a pic of the{I think}old one piece hull.

thanks
    lee

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just look down inside to see if it has the base wad going up the side about an inch or so.----Matt

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The old style has a rectangle border around the AA. Thick black line.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bulge made it easy...

regards to all,

jay

5. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Thanks for the info!

Lee

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Some of the new two piece style AA hulls also have the black rectangle around the AA.

7. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Take one of your hulls and cut it down the middle. If not a 2 piece it is the old style. If its two piece it is new style. Check the brass. On the primer face it could have HS stamped on one side. It just takes a little experience to be able to spot them at a distance.

Jimmy

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

New style have a shiny finish by comparison. Easy to spot if you put both kinds next to each other.

HM

9. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

JimmyP is pretty much right, BUT there were some 1st generation 2-piece hulls that didn't have the HS (High Strength) head-stamp markings.

Actually Winchester is into their 3rd generation of the 2-piece hull. The easiest way to tell the new hull from the old hull is basically the "shiny" slick teflon type appearance on the outside. The older 1-piece hull typically had a "flat" finish to it.

The first generation 2-piece still had the rectangular box around the AA, some had Winchester on the head-stamp and some started putting the HS on the head-stamp. (I believe, my opinion only) that this is when the problems with barrel obstructions started coming into conversations, and some base wads leaving the gun or getting caught in the barrels.

The second generation hull, didn't have the rectangular box, just a printed AA on it, almost looked like some cheesy, generic hull, not what I would have expected Winchester to turn out. Most of all these were being stamped with the HS mark on the head stamp. I think even some of these shells might have had movement of the base wad.

The current generation of the HS hull is just like the second EXCEPT that now there is a BOLD line under the AA on the hull. Some of the base wads are now white or clear and not always the same color as the hulls, Check out some of the gray ones if you don't believe me.

I finally have my P/W 800C loading these like factory shells, but I am mainly a fan of the older 1-piece hulls, bothe red and the silver ones (Silver Bullets). They don't make them better than the old ones. I do reload mainly Remington stuff now, and even a lot of Federal stuff as well.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

10. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Then by above post can I assume that these are old stile one piece hulls. I bought several hydramecs and got 2000 or so of these hulls and I'm just trying to find out witch one they are.

thanks
    lee

11. grntitan

Lee---All old style. I would throw the one on the right away and any others like it with that low of brass. Just my opinion anyway.----Matt

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That low brass came out with the first one ounce loads, just to be different. I loaded a lot of them and never had a problem.

HM

13. grntitan

HM---Learn something new every day.-----Matt

14. philk

philk Member

Ditto with halfmile, nothing wrong with the low brass shell, they work just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.