1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on No target rule?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bird Grinder, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

I have had this happen to me several times and I'd like to know how it should be scored. I have my gun up and ready to shoot, ( I shoot a release ) a target comes out of the trap house for what ever reason and I didn't call for one. I lift my head of the stock and my gun goes off. Is it a loss or a no target?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just wait to lift your head till the bird lands, then ya are good to go. No target

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

BirdGrinder.......It's scored as a lost target. Even though you didn't call for the targegt, you still shot at it and it will be scored as such. If you broke the target, it would be scored as a dead bird....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The only time this wouldn't be a lost target is if the target comes out broken. Any whole target shot at and missed, while still airborn, is a lost target.

ec90t

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Went thru this a few months ago exactly as described using a new to me release trigger. It was explained to me that if the shot charge hit between shooter and the house, it was a No Target. If the shot charge cleared the house its Lost. This was at a PITA shoot in Washington.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bird Grinder the rule book on line at the above website URL says

On page 31 Section VII Official Scoring A No Target

6. When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or when it is sprung
    at any material interval of time before or after the call of the contestant,
    provided the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result
    must be scored.

Bob Lawless

7. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

What if..............shooter calls for target and automated trap throws 2 targets while shooting a singles event and shooters fires and misses / the fact that trap threw 2 targets on singles event is a malfunction and happens once in a while.
    Is this a NO TARGET or is it scored as a lost target.

From the rules posted above it is a lost target but does the rule book address the automated trap that may sometimes throw 2 targets in a singles event.

Sorry I do not have my rule book handy.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

"""Went thru this a few months ago exactly as described using a new to me release trigger. It was explained to me that if the shot charge hit between shooter and the house, it was a No Target. If the shot charge cleared the house its Lost. This was at a PITA shoot in Washington."""

If the wad clears the barrel it is a "shot" and loss, if the wad is in the barrel, it is a "do over" aka "failure to fire"....how would anyone know where the shot charge hit???

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

crab you asked about 2 targets in a single target event.

The on line rule book says:

E. NO TARGET

7. When two (2) targets are thrown at the same time in single target
    events regardless of whether the contestant fires.

crab 2 posts above yours there is a link to the rule book on line all you have to do is click on it.

Frank C I have never shot a PITA shoot is it possible that there is a slight difference in the rule between the to associations.

Bob Lawless

10. Frank C

Bob, I guess anything is possible but I still think it would be difficult to determine IF the shot fell before, right at or just past the house....."can we see a replay on that last shot please"???

11. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I believe this is what ExFedex might be referring to with regards to the PITA rule. I have never seen this happen and I've been keeping score for quite some time. Perhaps this was put in place for those new to releases?

The PITA Rulebook also states it is a no target if it comes out broken or if 2 targets are thrown, regardless if a shooter breaks them or not. Any other instance (other than below), will be scored if shot at.

For the most part, the PITA rulebook closely follows the ATA rulebook.

Page 42, PITA 2008 Rulebook - No Target

(d) When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or
    when it is sprung at any material interval or time, before or
    after the call of the contestant, providing the contestant does
    not shoot. If the contestant shoots while the target is in flight
    it shall be assumed to have been fired at the target unless
    the shot hits the back of the trap house below the lid or hits
    the ground somewhere between the contestant and the
    lines parallel to the back of the trap house. If there is no
    objective evidence of a “ground shot” then the results will be
    scored based on the target breakage. Contestants will be
    allowed a maximum of two “ground shots” or any
    “accidental” firings in any sub-event. Any “ground shots” or
    “accidental” firing in excess of two, in any sub-event, will be
    scored as lost targets.

12. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Ivanhoe.............thanks

13. Frank C

so the "ground shot" is not referring to a squibb load, it is really referring to a shot into the ground in front of you, or the back of the trap house....I hope the scorer is paying CLOSE attention....

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Frank- An accidental shot into the ground or on the back wall of the trap house leaves unmistakable evidence.

Pat Ireland

15. Frank C

True, I have seen this in the past......including someone eliminating a section of the voice release cord....what I was referring to was a squibb load, saw one tonight as a matter of fact, wad stuck in the choke but if I wasn't watching closely I would not have seen the shot bounce off the roof!!! What if a scorer does not see the shot hit the ground or the back of the house....still seems like a rule that should follow ATA rules....NO??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.