1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on MX-10 top single

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dove Commander, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I bought a adjustable rib MX-10 top single at the Ohio State shoot. Even with the rib set at it's lowest setting (highest POI) it's not even close to 90/10 POI. I currently have a MX2000 O/U barrel, MX8 frame, and PFS that I shoot for doubles and I was planning to use the barrel on that frame for a backup gun on handicap. Wilkinson has worked on the barrel. Has anyone had experience with these barrels being flat shooters? (or possibly Wilkinson adjusted the POI for the previous owner?) Thanks for any input!

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dove, 80/20 is as high as they will shoot. Be sure to add the spacers to the comb to achieve this POI. If you want the barrel to shoot higher, send it to Tom Wilkinson and ask to have the barrel set to your desired POI. He can do this. It is fairly reasonable in price to have this done. Your barrel is a 4 notch barrel, if you look in the manual you will see Perazzi states this. Tom can make it shoot as high as you want it to. I sent my MX2000RS to him and he set it at 27in. Hope this helps, Roy

4. hairy

hairy TS Member

Pat Laib or Wilkerson can cut two more notches to make it higher.

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Stubs, please tell me about your new rib. Do you have to purchase it as after market or is it Perazzi. Looking to buy the new MX10 combo. Thanks, Roy

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Thanks guys. The barrel has 4 notches and is the old type without the hole. Some one cut a 5th notch, which is slightly deeper. I didn't know if was made that way or someone cut it in. I did try it in that notch, but it still shoots too flat. I don't see how Wilkinson can add another notch. The rib is nearly touching the barrel now in the 5th notch and I havea gap between the beads. Another notch would be good! Why would Perazzi make such a flat shooting adjustable rib? I hate shooting off the end of the barrel.

7. hairy

hairy TS Member

Dove, when Pat Laib did mine, he had to mill some off the bottom of the rib in front to allow it to go down all the way.

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

hairy, I looked at the rib and the front adjustment. The rib would have to be milled down, but would he not also have to modify the front spring loaded finger? So it would go down farther and still catch a notch? Probably have to add notches at the rear rib receiver too to raise the back of the rib?

9. hairy

hairy TS Member

Dove, here are a couple pictures of how Laib did it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

All MX-8 style top singles shoot flat, including the DB-81. Raise the comb, cut notches, barrel tune POI 0r go to an unsgl.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Your rib alternations will NOT change your POI.

The HEIGHT of your eye on the butt-stock is what changes POI. If you want a higher shooting gun, raise the comb of the butt-stock, and conversely so for a lower shooting gun.

The ONLY thing tilting a rib will do is change the "SIGHT PICTURE" of the beads... not the shot's flight - plain and simple.

Tilting a rib irrespective of the barrel does not change the flight of the shot - think about it. In order to shoot higher, the barrel has to be tilted at a greater angle from the horizontal.

The "Figure 8" sight picture is an old wives tale. Heck, if you picked up my Perazzi and shot it, you'd think you'd shot the moon. There is so much rib between beads, it's silly, but it's kept me as a AA-27 shooter for over 30 years.

You shouldn't be looking at beads anyway. When you mount your gun, about the only thing the beads tell you is if you are canting the gun, after that, look for the target, not the bead(s).

We've had this discussion so many times here, and it's OK to have it again. These adjustable ribs are, in my estimation, a gimmick, and in trapshooting there have been a ton of these, making folks buy need goods.

Whiz White

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Whiz, look at the post "I hate shooting off the end of the barrel". Why do it if it's not your style or to your liking. Why not have the sight picture you want? Thats what adjustable ribs are made for. It's not a gimmick.

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I called Laibs today. He said no problem, and he'll try to get 2 more notches cut in. Great people to talk to. He will also mill down the rib so it doesn't touch the barrel and add notches to the back if I wish. I seriously doubt if he can get 2 notches cut. Not much room. Whiz, I shoot a 90 to 100% POI, and have hated the bead gap on almost every gun I've owned. My Seitz and this gun will be the way I want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.