1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTION ON MDL 12 TRAP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by charlie01, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Hello, I need opinions on a mdl.12 that I have been looking at. First of all I will try to describe it the best I can. It is probally a late 50s or early 60s gun and has had a simmons olympic rib installed so the barrel has been reblued. Numbers match on the frame and barrel. The gun internal workings have been sent off and rebuilt and re-timed. The mc stock has had the adj. comb installed and a adj. grac-coil with kick-eez pad installed. It also has been refinished.I have seen the receipts for the work that was done on this gun although I can't recall who did the actual work. Is there a way you can tell this is a actual mdl 12 trap by any marks on the gun? And I suppose it is a trap only or would it have any collector value at all. And what would a mdl 12 with this kind of work that has been done on it be worth? It is a nice looking gun but I don,t know if I should get something like this and have fun with it or put my money into one that is more original so it would have a good resale value later if I decided to sell. Any and all information would be valued! Thanks in advace for your comments!

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

serial number tells most of the story about the age. An original gun should not have been SENT OUT and have a rib installed. Original guns have a proof mark on top of the barrel and receiver and are on the side of the rib. If no proof marks it is probably a build up gun. Is the rib milled into the top of the receiver or does it have the original factory dove tail on top for the rib extension. Depending on what it is like might be a 600 to 800 dollar item. Like they said above can you shoot it. Probably resale s not the thing if is built up because everyone wants original. only my opinion. Motordoc.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Once they did all that to the gun ... it is no longer "original"!

It no longer has collector value!

Shoot it ... if it smokes birds for you ... buy it!

With all the "upgrades" ... anything under $1000 is a good buy!

4. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Hey guys, Thanks for your response,s to my questions on this particular mdl.12 It does have proof marks on top of the barrel and the receiver. And the old rib was said to have been taken off and the simmons Olympic rib (which is probally an inch high) was installed. He told me some time ago I could shoot it whenever I wanted. He also said he wanted $1000 for it, I don't know if I could get him down any more or not.It's a neat looking gun, wether it will break clays or not I don't know yet. Wood does not seem to have as much burl as I would like. i might be better suited with a more original style mdl. 12 Thanks again, Charlie01

5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Charlie01

There are probly more built up model 12s than there are orginal traps models.

Are you looking to buy for investment purposes, or to shoot it?

In the old days most of us used what we had and and sent the gun to Simmons to add a rib, and we bought a trap stock from Bishop or Fagen and we had a trap gun!

Main thing is to not pay much more than the gun is worth.
    If possible, shoot the gun prior to buying it.

ed/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.