1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'd like to load way down to produce a very low fps load. Is there a limit on just how far I can go with this and still hit the targets? What I'm trying to do is load down far enough to gauge that point at which the fps actually starts to seriously effect my hits. Obviously, the loading data pretty much starts at 1145 fps. And this would lead a person to assume that's the minimum. I'd like to load up a box at 900 fps and see what happens. Anyone got any info they could share with me? Thanks, Jim

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The problem is chamber pressure and not just speed. To develop low speeds you'd use small amounts of powder. Small amounts of powder don't develop the chamber pressure (think of it as the compression ratio) needed to achieve consistently complete burns of the powder charge. That results in inconsistent performance.

Winchester has developed low-recoil 12 ga. loads that they advertise as being 980 fps. That loading data or something like it) should be in the Hodgdon data guide. Look for Winchester 2 3/4 oz lead shot loads in 12 ga., all primers and Winchester powder. Using Winchester WAALite powder, the 1 oz loads go down to 970 fps.

MK

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Hodgdon shows a few 980fps loads. Here's one of them:

Remington Hull 1 1/8 oz Ched. 209, Rem. FIG. 8, 12.8 WAALite, 8,200 PSI, 980fps

You might be able to fudge this down a little farther, but anything below 8,000 psi can get a little on the incosistant side.

ss

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Re: trying to see how low you can go, gets the curiosity going....why? Not critical, just asking. Best Regards, Ed

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well, if you take into account the fact that even if you download a bunch, the shot is heading out there at 900 fps, and may slow down to 600 or 700 fps by the time it gets to the target, and the target is moving about 60 fps when it leaves the trap hous e and may drop to 45 fps, there's still a lot of energy in those pellets.

Plenty to break the target if you hit it with more than just a few pellets.

You'll probably see more of a dramatic change in how far you need to lead the target than how the breaks are affected.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

A friend and myself bought out the entire local Walmart l l/2 to 2 years ago when they were selling (old stock maybe) some 20 ga. and some 12 ga. Win. AA's and Rem STS's at different time. We bought a dozen or so of those Win. AA low recoil and low noise shells at $5.00 a box. They worked great!!! They crushed targets when you on, even with the 7/8 oz of lead in them. Try some of the Win. AA Lite powder and load-um up to the data at Hodgdon.com and go for it. Nothing wrong with those loads inside of 35 yards or so, for any type of shooting. Break-em all. Jeff

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Oldgoat (Ed),The idea is to 'work' myself up to an optimum load and eliminate my behing shots.. Think of it this way. We can't see the shot and where its going when we miss a target right? So, the idea is, by loading down and then stairstepping up in charge I can eliminate those 'behind' misses that I might make unknowingly. By loading down, those 'misses' that are a result of me shooting behind the bird become more apparent. Sounds reasonable to me and so I'm going to experiment. We all seem to have certain angles or shots that give us trouble. I'm just looking to fix one of them. Hope this helps your curiosity. Jim

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Jim, thanks for sharing your objective and I genuinely hope this experiment works out for you. When I shot skeet a lot, I focused on shooting .410 for all my practice to improve my focus on the targets...it seemed to work when I shot the larger gauges in competition...scores definitely improved. Best Regards, Ed

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

xringjim,

You a high power rifle shooter?

Sounds like you are trying to fine tune your shotgun shells by "working up a load".

I think you will be better off finding one of the better shooters at the club to stand behind you. Often times if you have young pullers, their young eyes can see the shot or they have enough experience to have a good idea where you are missing. If you are having trouble with a particular target, have the trap help lock the trap to throw that particular target and experiment with more lead. Stick with one velocity (1145 f/s) for singles and a little faster for handicap.

Jason

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jim

The 7/8 ounce 980 fps loads published on Hodgdon's website for Winchester AA Lite powder shoot as soft as a .410, and like Jeff said above, they will knock the snot out of targets.

11. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Xringjim,we are shooting a light load of 16.2 of promo and 1 ounce, Wefound it patterns well and have shot many 49's and 50's with it.FPS is under 1100. But we use hotter primers to get a better powder burn. We had a shooter shooting a little over 11 gr of 700x when his bar did not travel enough and after he tore a few apart he said he would shoot them and did. He did ok not great but everyone could not believe it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.