1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question On Loading Federal Papers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about experimenting with loading some of the Federal Paper hulls. I load on a Pacific DL366. Do i need any special crimp dies to be able to load them? Is there any other tricks that i need to know? Anything i should watch for? Lastly, what is a good load using W209 primers, Green Dot powder and 1 1/8oz shot?

Thanks,

Matt

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Unless you have some 12C1 wads lying around, don't bother.

ss

3. grntitan

I'll buy whatever is needed. Actually right now my reloading components are tapped out. I'm loaded up for the Grand and waiting to buy wads from DownRange at the Grand.

4. fly

fly Active Member

FYI, i have loaded them with other brands of wads, and have made no changes to my crimps. They worked just as good as any other hull. Read a loading manual and go for it.

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

A cone crimp starter is best, but you can use an 8 point too.

12C-1 wads are hard to come by, but the 12S-4 is what I use and when loading a 3 dram load of GreenDot they actually work better. 12S-4 is an 1ΒΌ oz wad.

6. grntitan

I happen to have a cone crimp starter. Wasn't sure what it was for. The reason i asked about the load data, Alliants site doesn't list any loads with W209 primers. Do i have to get Federal 209A primers?

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Winchester primers are fine. I've used those and 209A's.

I'm loading 20.8 gr Greendot for my handicap loads with either primer.

8. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I've loaded "thousands" of them over several years with regular AA12 wads and a cone crimp starter. Never a problem. For one ounce I use the Downrange one ounce wads. I can't think of the number right now. Too lazy to go out to my reloading building to check. Jimmy Borum

9. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

Clay buster or Winchester wads have worked fine in papers for me. I would suggest you look closly at all your hulls and check for pin holes along the edge of the brass. I have had some pinholed hulls rip apart in the crimp station of my MEC and they are a pain to get out and they make a huge mess. I also have had good luck with useing a six point precrimp. The eight point makes to tight of a crimp and the end of the hulls can start tairing because of it.

Luke Kalina

10. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

I load the same load as Rick N... winchester 209, 20.8 greendot , 12s4 fed wad as I get a nicer crimp.... 1 1/8 of remington shot

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When we moved over the winter, I found 700 once-fired Federal papers from the 1992 and 1993 Grand Americans, so I decided to load them the one or two times it takes before pinholes develop and then toss them. FOUR reloadings with no pinholes later, I gave them to another shooter. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

[​IMG]

I didn't bother changing anything about my usual recipe and used my normal Remington 209s, 19.5 of PB and Down Range WJ-12 Windjammer clones. I even used the eight-point crimp starter. They loaded fine, broke targets well and as I said, looked like new four loadings later.

Ed

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've successfully loaded many with 8-point crimper and WWAA12 and WWAASL12 wads and clones. If had enough to warrant purchasing a dedicated wad I would use a clone of Federal 12Sx. If I had a cone crimper, I'd use it.

RXP12 wads haven't worked well for me.

I use Red Dot/Promo with WW-209/Fiocchi/NobleSport primers and load to ~1150fps. Generally I go up one bushing from my AA/STS equivalent load, but that is because I want to keep pressure/reliability up for use as a reliably functioning fire-and-forget round from an auto.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have reloaded thousands of papers, same crimp starter and same wads I always use. Just go for it.

14. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

What Kalina said.

I get good results out of my old A5, but had a 1-2% failure rate where the paper burns through just ahead of the brass. A minor inconveniece on the practice field, a PITA at a "real" shoot, not good for doubles.

15. grntitan

Thanks all. I'm gonna set it up after the Grand. Gonna buy me some DownRange wads from Kevin there and start experimenting. Has to be something to these paper hulls the way you guys always rant and rave about them.

On a side note, any recipes for once fired Alcan Papers or should i just leave them alone? They have been stored in a cool dry place since new.
    [​IMG]

16. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Matt.

I shot lots this year with a Win. Pri, the Downrange copy of the 12s3 wad and 21 grains of Green Dot.

1 1/8 of hard shot.

Terry.

17. grntitan

Thanks Terry. I think i'll copy your load and get some of those 12s3 wads from Kevin at the DownRange booth at the Grand. I imagine you will be there so have a safe trip and shoot well.--Matt

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is a "Cone" crimp starter?

19. fishguts

fishguts Member

The claybuster 12S3 and the claybuster RED FIG 8 AR wad have worked great in federap papers...try to stay away from tapered wads.

Also something I've noticed about paper hulls is that they will be affected by temperatures. Some guys pull out papers that they've stored for years in the basement or garage, load them and find the case is no good after 1 or 2 loadings, because they are dried out and brittle.

Load only fresh paper hulls and get maybe 4 or 5 good loads. I've also noticed that using a Claybuster 12S3 wad for the first 2 or 3 loads gives you a fine crimp, but as the crimp weakens and looses paper in this area, go to the 12S4 wad to get a deeper crimp and they won't pop open.

Wayne

20. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I have a case (5000) of the Claybuster CB3118AR which is the 12C1 replacement. I used to be able to get all the Federal Papers I wanted but that source is gone. So if anyone is interested $65.00 Plus shipping.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal 12c1 wad

pinholes in federal primers