1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Lachmiller deprimer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ljutic111, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have a 12 ga Lachmiller Deprimer/Resizer and can`t get it to work properly or something is missing ? On the downward stroke of the handle , the hull raises up to the deprimer/resizer , pops the primer out which falls down but the hull gets stuck in the resizing die with nothing to push it down . Have to get a vise grip to remove the resizer and hull and hammer to remove the hull in a vise ?? I had another one previous that worked great but can`t remember why . I have no picture of one that I can compare with . This unit is like new . Maybe there is a weak/frozen spring in the tube above that isn`t working right ? Should I turn it over and spray some lubricant into the tube ? Is the bolt head on top an adjustment ?? I am resizing STS hulls which should just pop out and so far 4 have not released from the die ? Any help would be appreciated .

2. pa pete

pa pete Member

It could be that you need a new collet(sp). Good luck finding one!
    "Pete" McDonough

3. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Sounds like pa pete has it right. The Lachmiller uses a collett to squeeze on the hull rim which pulls the hull out of the sizing cylinder. There is also a coil spring inside the sizing cylinder which helps push the hull out of the cylinder. Does your case conditioner have a collett? What is the condition of the spring inside the cylinder? Check those out. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Yes the hull is very tight in the collett so could this be the problem ? Being an old unit , why would it be such a tight fit . I don`t know if the spring is working properly and even so , it would never push out the hull . I had to use a hammer and wooden dowel to get it out . Maybe a trip to a machine shop to cut the collett to size ? I`ll sell it as is for a fair price .

5. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Ljutic111, There is some confusion here, as I must not have communicated very clearly. It sounds to me that the collett is missing from your case conditioner. I think you are confusing the collett with the sizing ring. The collett sits in the bottom, or movable part, of the case conditioner and is designed to just grasp the rim of the brass part of the hull you are resizing. The sizing ring is a part of the cylinder that the hull is shoved into when you pull the handle. This sizes the brass and the collett sizes the rim of the brass and is also supposed to make the primer pocket smaller to keep the new primer from fallig out of a many times reloaded hull. The Lachmiller case conditioner was made to resize hulls with real brass "brass", before steel "brass" hulls were common. It worked very well on the paper hulls we reloaded "back then." If the collett is missing or broken, the case conditioner would have little value to a reloader today. The weakest aspect of the Lachmiller was the collet as it was prone to breaking and trying to find a replacement collet today is very difficult, if not next to impossible. I would be very interested in finding a replacement collet or two, three, or more. Good luck and Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`d like to see a picture if possible . There is nothing on the bottom except a bushing locked in with 2 allen screws. Doesn`t look like anything is broken off. There is a sizing ring in the housing above where the deprimer is . That sizing ring is smaller than the one in my 366 . That is why the STS hulls are so hard to get out .

7. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Ljutic111, The collett fits into the bushing, you mentioned, with a loose fit. Sounds like your collett is missing. Sorry I can't send you a picture as my MSN 2 browser has some limitations. When I had Webtv I could send pictures using my camcorder. I noticed the sizing ring on my Lachmiller is just slightly smaller than the sizing ring on my 366.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Rich and MIshot , thanks . I had to wait for the wife to get off the computer to view the video . Thats the unit I have and I now know I am missing the collett which must fit into the bushing on the bottom . I also am missing the primer drop tube and all thats in the bottom hole is a tapered cup fitting so the primer falls on the base . This piece I can make from an aluminun tube I have . I tried another STS hull with some lube spray and got a hull to deprime/resize and release by itself . Did 4 and miced them -- went from .808+- to .803+-. As long as the top bushing resizer is screwed all the way up the hulls are pushed out with the internal spring . If I screw it down 1/8 in. the hulls will jam and I would have to do the hammer and dowel trick . So as of now it works but not with all the parts ??? The pieces may or may not be on my friend bench but I can say they aren`t since he has no idea where this press came from and has never used it . Hey , thanks again .

9. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

If you really want to sell it PM me.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

OK but let me look for the missing pieces . I`ll PM in a week . I went down to the loading room and pushed out 25 hulls without a hitch without the collet .

11. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I sold one to someone on here a year or so ago. They indicated they bought it for a spare. Maybe???

Maybe a collet from a MEC Super Sizer could be made to work. Jimmy Borum

12. dcan67

dcan67 TS Member

These were bought by RCBS and became known as the SHOTShell Saver I believe.
    Huntington still has a selection of parts just email or phone and explain what you need.
    I have purchase parts for these from them a couple of years ago and see they are still listing them.

http://huntingtons.com/index.html

Take care Don

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

This unit must have been made this way without a drop tube for the primers or the bottom collett . It has a funnel fitting to receive the primers and they just fall down into it and then into a bucket . I set it up on the edge of my bench and ran thru 50 STS brass based hulls without a problem and about 3 primers missed their mark in the funnel but went into the bucket . I also ran 10 RGC steel based hulls thru and 3 messed the base up but resized good and down to .801 whereas the brass were .802-.803 ? Some the spring didn`t push back out of the resizer and a slight tap on the spring bolt on top got them out much easier than when I first got it and had to back off the resizer with the hull in it but I never realized the bolt was pushed up or I could have just tapped that down with a wooden mallet . Thanks for all the help and the Video . I sold one like it a few years ago but never used it to remember . I also sold a Mec Super sizer in 10 ga that was missing a part that I had to make good on . Make me an offer and I will part with this one too .

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

THE LATEST ON THE DEPRIMER/RESIZER . I had a piece of steel stock and made a drop tube and ran a lot of hulls thru without a hitch -- all STS`s, and it can be changed back to using the funnel fitting that came with it very easy . Just back off the spring assembly on top gives access to adding or removing the drop tube . It`s now for sale . I`d like to get $40 plus shipping from NJ . Thanks again RichN for that video so I could see what was needed . It doesn`t need the collett .

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

Or? step into the year 2010 with the rest of us and get a sizer that is attached to your loader. Just a thought.... Jeff

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I agree also , my 366 has a resizer and that is the way to go . Some would rather resizer separately because not being able to put one on their machine .

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Back Up >>>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lachmiller shotshell instructions

lachmiller shotshell resizer