1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Hornady 366

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by R.Ewing, Jul 20, 2013.

1. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

Anyone have a good way or trick for emptying the lead and powder hoppers when switching between loads and not spilling either tube?

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

OPPS! Major Error! THIS IS FOR THE APEX HORNADY PRESS! 333t has the correct way for the 366. (Edited to correct error in original posting)

When you bought the press you should have received a about 3" piece of plastic tube about 3/4" or so ID. On the bottom of the top frame you will see two holes each in a small column, One will be under the shot feed area and the other under the powder feed area. If you stick the tube onto the column you want to empty and then unscrew the knurled screw that holds the powder or shot tube in place, you can then swing that tube over to put the shot or powder drop above the tube and then you can use the swinging bushing holder to open or close the hole. If you have something (like a Tupperware plastic container in my case) under the tube you can quickly empty the hopper.

I will see if I can find the instruction manual which might more clearly explain this process.

3. 333t

333t Member

Make sure the top caps are on. Remove the top assembly from the press, keeping the bar in the forward (toward you) position. Keeping the bar pressed forward, remove the shot cap and empty the shot hopper by pouring it out from the top into your container. Replace the shot cap. Now do the same with the powder tube, keeping the bar always pressed forward. If your caps are loose, tape the powder cap on while you are dumping the shot. Do this a couple of times and it is quite easy.

Phil

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Buy the shot and powder tubes from Jim Skeel on here. Makes the process 100 times easier as they are very sturdy with really good lids. Link above.
    grntitan_2009_2503173.jpg

5. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

333t...Yeah, my mistake was not keeping the bar forward. It slid back and lost about 3/4 of powder. Didn't know if there was something I missed like a lock or something.

grntitan...I have talked with Jim about getting his tubes, just waiting for the next paycheck.

Thanks for the help

6. 333t

333t Member

I should have also mentioned to close the shutoffs for shot and powder before you remove the top assembly but keeping the bar firmly forward will prevent spills.

Phil

7. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

Have you had a problem with the last shell not dropping through the hole and it jumping up and out of the machine? Any idea on how to correct?

8. 333t

333t Member

The spring with the round loop end at the station with the drop out hole needs to be adjusted so that the outer edge of the retaining ring centers on the loop. Loosen the screw that holds the spring and center the loop and re-tighten. You may have to move it a little one way or the other to get your machine to drop correctly. It seems to be normal for an occasional shell to hop out though.

Phil

9. grntitan

The piece of spring steel that deflects the loaded/finished shell into the drop hole can be very tricky to adjust just right. It takes a bit of tinkering to adjust it right but when you get it, it should work smoothly and nearly eliminate all pop-outs. I may have one pop-out in every 500 or so loaded shells. Another adjustment that affects the shell drop is the tension on the nut for the shell plate. If you have the shell plate too loose, it can cause the loaded shell to rise out of the slot. It is an adjustment that also requires experimenting to reach that optimum tension. The most important apsect of operating a 366 is speed. There is an optimum speed with a split second pause required to load without issues. This can account for primer feed issues as well as shell pop-outs. I honestly think the most common cause of problems on 366 loaders is people rushing the operation.

My Pacific DL366

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lwRDYFOVnZI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

What is that spring loaded action you have going on with the primer drop tube?

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

One of several 366 updates. Nice one too.

-Gary

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yep, a nice even pace is critical on a 366. It also keeps the drops as close to even as possible. To fast and the primers will jamb, and the shells hop out of the ejection slot.

Just like any loader, smooth and nice even speed will get you the best results. As mentioned above also, just the smallest adjustments can make a big difference. Sometimes it causes you to have to adjust other stations as well, to make up the difference in the other adjustments done to other dies.

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

On the primer drop tube grntitan has a primer stop. Stops the primer from dropping so you can run the indexing plate. Your old primer drop tube can be drilled and used. I measured mine so I know how many primers I have left on certain holes.

On the primer inserting tool he has the new automatic adjusting primer ram. You do not have to adjust for different cases.

Nice up grades.

Ajax

14. grntitan

The spring loaded die is actually not the primer drop tube but the primer seating ram. It is spring loaded and allows me to use any primer in any hull without having to make adjustments when switching. One of the best additions you can make to the 366.

The primer drop tube is the one to the left if the ram. It has a shutoff pin that allows me to operate the loader without dropping primers such as when finishing a loading session and wanting to completely empty the turret/shell plate of shells. I also drilled holes in the primer drop tube to be able to keep a constant watch on primer levels. Easy modification that helps tremendously.

15. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

It looked like the primer drop tube moves a bit on the downstroke. I have the springloaded primer insertion ram. I had to watch the clip twice and look closely.

16. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

Thanks everyone for the help.

17. grntitan

Nebs, the primer drop tube does in fact move upwards. It is part of the design which includes the primer shutoff. However, it is not a spring loaded type thing. The primer shut off addition is one that can be purchased and another one I recommend that is well worth the money.

Search tags for this page

empty hopper tubes on 366

how to adjust the primer die tension on a hornady 366

primer feed foe hornady 366

problem with hornady 366 primer insertion