1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on hold point

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by crewswalden, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

i've been taught to hold in singles/ handicaps below the back of fhe house for clear line of sight, then come up under bird for shot. I am a newbie d shooter. At a shoot today guys were saying to
    Hold horizontal to ground, then move laterally to intersect with bird. What do you accomplished
    shooters prefer? Does weather change your strategy? Specifically, shooting in strong, gusty wind?

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Depending on how the birds a coming out of the house, I normally hold just below the front edge of the house. If you hold any lower you're having to catch up to the target. To me, if you hold just low enough below the leading edge of the house you'll see the targets as they emerge.

Where were you shooting today?

Bryan

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

2 eye or 1 eye shooter?

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Shooting a top-single, I held it right at the front lip of the house. Could not hold it any higher as I didn't see the bird coming out. There is no need to hold it any lower than that. I recently picked up an unsingle and have found that I can hold it about a foot above the front lip and have a quicker shot to the bird. It really depends on what works for you, but basically "normally" you hold between the front lip of the house roof and up from there depending on you.

5. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

Two eye shooter. I was in Spartanburg, SC. I had not considered it being different depending on your gun. I'm shooting an old k32 o/u. But holding the gun the way these guys preferred, I could not see a good portion of the back of the house. Not for me. Thanks for responding. I feel better.

6. Setterman

Most 1 eyed shooters hold down on the house because their field of vision is more limited than a 2 eyed shooter. Nearly all 2 eyed shooters I know hold 2-3 feet above the house, and pick up the target through the barrel. You normally don't get a good focus on the bird till it is above your barrel anyway. It is a blur out of the house. Try holding a higher gun and looking out about a foot above the rib. If it doesn't work better for you, fine. Use what works best.

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I believe the sooner you see the target the better. Tried an experiment with a friend where we both attempted to break the bird as quickly as possible. Holding a low gun enabled both of us to hit the target quicker. To me it stands to reason that the sooner you see the target the better. The biggest difference maker is hold points from stations one thru five.

Robert

8. 3357

3357 Member

As a one eyed shooter, I would recomend listening to Settermans advice.

9. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

Thanks Setterman. I think I follow you, so I'll experiment in practice. Appreciate the advice.

10. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

Thanks Setterman. I think I follow you, so I'll experiment in practice. Appreciate the advice.

11. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

12. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

13. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

This is an excellent thread. This is what this site should be about, a discussion of questions related to the actual shooting of trap targets.

I am just getting back into trap after a 30 year hiatus, and like you, I am experimenting with different hold points. I am finding that I can hold above the front of the house on stations 3,4,and 5, but must hold level with the front edge of the house on 1 & 2 or I don't pick up the bird as quickly, and thus am playing catch up. (Right handed two eyed shooter) I am not sure why this is, but it seems true for me. I may have to change in a week or two if my scores drop. And I am certainly no expert...just my opinion.
    Jack Farrow

15. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

I hold level (maybe 3' above the house) and I still break birds earlier than most anyone at the club. Soft focus out to "infinity" does it for me.

I find if I hold on the house, I tend to look at the house. Fortunately, I've never shot at it.

You have to try about 5 rounds with any hold point to be able to decide.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

You can answer this question for yourself. Take a look at those shooters recommending high hold points averages. Preferrably handicap averages. Do they shoot across the US?

Point being is the key to success in shooting is immediate intial target flight path. The farther back you move in yardage, the more critical it becomes to be effective. A select few shooters can acheive positive results using primarily horizontal movement to targets but many very negative. You can dink around at the 16 and get away with alot of mistakes. But do you want to be effective the majority of the time?

Personally I would tell you to not go over one foot above at the 16 and handicap, down at the rim. However Iam a nobody and many many who are experts probably have better advice...

PS A gun moving is a gun easier to move. Think about it.

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If you hold the bead on the lip, How much higher do you focus your vision?.......SMOKIT

18. Setterman

I have tried every hold point known to man. Especially on 27 yard handicap. One day a change feels good. The next day not. Takes some experimenting to find what works best. I've ended up using an Arch type. Lower on station #1 and #5 and higher on 2,3,and 4. Whiz White had a hold point/look point graphic that he emailed me a couple years ago. It's a great starting point. If I can find it, and you want a copy, PM me with your email and I'll send it out.

19. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

For 16 yd singles I hold about 2 feet or slightly more above the house. For handicap I use the arch method like a few others here. 1 foot above the front lip for 1 and 5 and 2 feet above the front lip for 2,3,4. Adjust both SLIGHTLY for high or low targets. Every instructor and article (less than 20 years old) I know of suggests holding above the front lip as a starting point, until you find what works for you. Low holds work great for some but its really old school, things and methods change over time. Also I have not seen a AAA shooter holding below the lip, not that there aren't a few.....just I have yet to see one.

However....Below the lip seems to work best for one-eyed shooters.

20. crewswalden

crewswalden Member

Thanks for all the comments. Due to bad weather I haven't been able to practice or experiment, but looks like it's going to improve starting tomorrow. I'm going to also do some reading on trap instruction. If anybody has a particular author or book they recommend, please advise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.