1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question on hard angles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I recently bought a browning XT 32" and am planning on using it for all my trapshooting. I used a field grade 1100 for several years and although I always wanted to do a little better I generally shot it OK. I have been staying behind the hard angles and never getting caught up them in fact shooting a little over them as well as behind them. I know my XT is a longer, heavier gun than I am used to and I am hoping this will be overcome as I shoot this season. Anyone else have this problem ever and will "getting used " to the gun solve it? Thanks for any input.

2. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Yep, but unless your 1100 had a barrel shorter than 28 inches the xt is probably a shorter gun but I bet it has a shorter length of pull which will make the xt harder to swing on the screeming angles.

The xt is a pretty heavy piece so it will take more effort to get it going, some like the weight because it smoothes out your swing but the downside is the effort to get it going. In closing you may have changed from a lighter gun with a shorter lop to a heavy longer lop gun which would explain your problems getting to the angles.

If you put some weight in the butt it will make the xt swing faster, not hard to do just put some lead in the stock bolt hole and try it.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

tripod I am not sure your gun evaluation is 100% correct. Your XT 32" is probably heavier but longer I think if you take both guns and stand them on their but plates side by side you might find out they are pretty close to the same length.

The 1100 is longer from the but plate to the barrel than the XT. Depending on the barrel length of the 1100 they might be fairly close to the same length.

I also feel that you might be shooting a little more than a little over them. The only way to tell is put them both on paper.

Bob Lawless

4. ivanhoe

"If you put some weight in the butt it will make the xt swing faster, not hard to do just put some lead in the stock bolt hole and try it."

I feel if you are going to do this find some kind of container to put the lead in. The last person that I know that just put it in the bolt hole never was able to get the stock off the gun again in the conventional way.

Bob Lawless

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tripod, read Fred's message till his valid point sinks in.

Having your mind set thinking an angle is hard is a major mistake. Thats a negative thought when you first see such a target? Making a shot of any kind takes a combination of physical and mental approaches. The eyes/eye tells the data base when things are aligned correct for a good shot, not timing. Frank Little always said, make a proper bird/bead relationship. Fred is saying practically the same thing. Hap

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am not a anything other than a A or B shooter, but the targets I missed with my 1100 were usually almost always straight aways that I got a little lazy on. I have only shot this gun few times and I crush everything else but the angles. Of course I hit most of them, but my misses are also confined to them. I didn't mean to imply that they were "harder" than the other targets, just that they were the ones that I was missing with my new gun. I think I will go over to the club today and shoot a few rights on 5 and lefts on 1 to see if it helps me.

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I have found that moving my hold points to 1ft high and 1ft off the corner of the house on post 1 & 5 help me get on the hard angle birds easier. You will find that you won't have to move your gun as much, and it will be pointed close to where you shoot many of the other.

BTW, I only do this on Singles. For H-cap, I just hold a higher gun over the corners.

AndyH ;-)

8. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Geez who is so small minded they think lead only comes in the form of shot?

9. ivanhoe

Andy44 with due respect to what you are suggesting. I believe you would be hard pressed to find any of those that sell trapshooting tapes or teaching trapshooting classes suggesting those type of hold points.

Those are not the hold points that I have seen recommended in my experience. then again I haven't looked at a trapshooting tape or taken a class in a good many years.

Bob Lawless

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Since I started holding outside and above the corners the angles have gotten much easier and I didn't consider them hard before. The one thing I have learned in trapshooting is that a lot of the conventional wisdom is far from universally applicable. Try different things and see if they will work for you.

11. ismah

ismah Member

Tripod, Practice, Practice, Practice. You're a good shooter, you'll get it.

12. ivanhoe

Dednlost I don't know if your comment was meant for me or not but I never mentioned lead shot you did.

The person that I referred to when I said.

"The last person that I know that just put it in the bolt hole never was able to get the stock off the gun again in the conventional way."

Put a lead slug that was a little smaller than the bolt hole in the hole and shot the gun that way for about a year. When he wanted to take the stock off so he could clean and lube the moving parts. He couldn't get the stock off he tried everything and anything including a dent puller with a threaded tip on it an a slip hammer. That didn't work either.

BTW with that being said I would have to guess that the small minded person is the one that mentioned lead shot in the first place. Seeing how there were only two people that mentioned lead and I never said shot. I would think that, that only leaves the other person.

Bob Lawless

13. racer

racer TS Member

I shot my XT for two years with a pound of shot in the stock. I stuffed about a 2"x2" piece of cloth down the hole first and sealed the pad end with some candle wax. NO issues removing slotted screw stock bolt.
    And it was #8 hard shot!

Set the trap for left or right and shoot a few boxes from 1&5- you'll be squared away in an afternoon. Dan

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

My thoughts: Shooting behind the angles is not so much a problem with swinging the gun slow, but it is caused by not seeing the target soon enough and trying to catch up with the angle. Gun placement on or over the house on each post should be such that it helps you see the target out of the house. The gun placement should not be intended to get a head start on the most difficult target from that post.

Pat Ireland

15. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

Tripod,

Get it fitted to you. I'd be willing to bet that it's too long.

A LOP that is long will defineately cause you to shoot behind angles and you will struggle from the corners.

Have a nice day! Dan

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Why wouldn't you want a head start on the hard lefts and hard rights. HMB

17. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I went from an 1100 to your exact gun - scores stayed about the same. Opposed to some others I think a shorter LOP helps catch the hard angles - certianly helps stay in the gun while swinging - maybe that's it.

I went from the XT to a TMX. I could never shoot the bottom barrel well so I reverted to the TMX for singles and a 391 for doubles.

XT is a great bargain as a trap gun.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Browning has been making their guns longer than normal for a few years now.

If your LOP is more than the other gun, get it chopped.

A gun that don't fit is like a dog that don't hunt or a woman....well, you get the picture.

HM

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"The gun placement should not be intended to get a head start on the most difficult target from that post."

Not wanting to be unfair to the target, where should we hold so that we don't get an unfair "head start". LOL

20. ivanhoe

JBrooks

"Not wanting to be unfair to the target, where should we hold so that we don't get an unfair "head start".

Would it be safe to say you are assuming something that is not in the quote you used(the word unfair)so why do you assume the "head start" comment was intended to mean unfair?

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.