1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Etiquette

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MisterHappy, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

OK...thoughts please....

I was at a club, at a special event directed at juniors, with my son. It was a cold day. Towards the end, things were winding down, and my son and I were in the warming hut.

We had a view of the shooting area, and watched as one of the adults there, NOT a newbie, picked up my kid's gun, fumbled around for a second or two, figuring out how to close the action, then called for a bird and shot.

My son walked out ( me following) and the guy said, "Is this your gun? It needs to be cleaned."

OK....the gun is not an Aspiration Object (if he'd done this to one of my Parkers, things might have been different) but....WTF?

We're not members of this club, and the event was hosted at, but not run by, the club.

Gotta say I was shocked....but as there were no deaths, I didn't do anything.

What's the collective wisdom here....

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Handling someone else's gun without permission is a no-no but firing it is an absolute outrage. The @sshole should have been bluntly instructed to keep his hands the hell off of other people's property and he should have been reported to club mgt pronto.

PS: I know several people who would punch you in the face for that stunt without thinking twice, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

-Gary

3. pweld

pweld TS Member

I would say whoever he was has a personal problem. First of all it was not his gun and he had no right to pick it up or for that matter shoot it. I would have told him just what he could do with his ideas. He needs to apologize!!! If someone picks a gun by mistake that is not theirs that is one thing but not this time.

That is what I would do. The older I get the grouchier I get.

Paul Welden

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ditto what Gary above said. That is absolute BS. I would have had a tough time restraining myself.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

You could have said, "I thought you were stealing my gun" "You didn't ask to pick it up or shoot it." Next time I will report you to managment. Then walk off with out giving him a chance to respond or argue. If that doesn't work -- I agree with the other two. Now I accidentally pick up another guys gun at an ATA, very similar to mine and he came over to get me carrying my gun. Obviously, I apologized profusely and then we had a laugh. He understood and I felt dumb. Fred

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Same same here. Picking up the wrong gun by mistake happens but usually an apology follows. What he did was beyond rude and I would have been deep in his poop over it club member or not.

--- Chip King ---

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Depending on the locality, you can fully expect your gun to be picked up, admired, fondled, derided, chastised, or pilfered. I would not expect anyone would shoot it without the permission of the owner; but it is kind of a compliment when afficionadoes admire your weapon. The gun rack at most(edit -SOME-) clubs is kind of like community property.

A lot of guys with expensive hardware leave it in a locked vehicle, for good reason. There is a lot of "local traditions" in the shooting world, but I would say no harm was actually done except for a guy busting the kids chops, which is "de rigueur" at some trap clubs; therefore no foul.

If you're gonna succeed in this game, you better develop a thick skin, and don't sweat stuff like this, as it's just part of the overall scheme. You better get used to it.

Regards, GAP

8. grntitan

I respectfully disagree Gapper. There would be some pe'od old men with possibly fat lips after they fondled my gun without first asking. An accident is an accident but there is no such thing as a gun being community property at any clubs i have have visited or frequented. It's just rude.

I have often let fellow shooters both hold and shoot my guns after they asked or showed intrest. I stress after they asked or with my permission.

9. claykiller

claykiller Member

I think it would have been pretty cool if you had grabbed the gun and butt stroked him. After which stand over him pointing your finger at his face saying "don't ever do that again".

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd say the guy was WAAAY out'a line.......

11. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Like I said it's dependent on locality; I didn't say it was right or good manners, but you can expect it to happen. And if you're giving out fat lips, I can guarantee you'll never shoot at that club again. It's your choice. GAP

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It is never considered good etiquette to lay a hand on anyone. You might even have to get a new non-gun hobby when the judge gets through with you. Ron

13. AEP

AEP Member

When my wife started trap shooting 2 years ago I bought her a BT-99. We were at the club shooting and she picked up someone elses BT-99 by mistake. The two guns were almost identical. Her and I went to shoot. I was on station 1 and she was on station 2. I noticed after the first couple of shots she had the wrong gun. It bothered me so bad I started missing targets.

After the shoot I told her what she had done. I told her to find the owner and appoligize. I knew who owned the gun. He was very nice and said no problem. Stuff happens. She was lucky.

Things like that can happen, but to pick-up someones gun, knowing it's not yours, shooting it, then commenting it's dirty to the owner is not cool.

In my opinion that person needs to be banned from the club for a few weeks so he can think about what he/she has done.

Just my opinion,
    Andy

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

The gun rack is NOT community property and should not be thought of as such. Someone gun is exactly that, theirs. I don't care if you're Leo Harrison or any one of the Big Dogs you don't have the right to pick up someone else's gun. I would not think of it as compliment if some joker picked up my gun to "check it out."

Being made fun of or joked at requires thick skin, but handling someone else's gun, without permission, does not require any tolerance on my part.

Bryan

15. grntitan

I think i'd better get something to eat as this might get good.

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Since your kid was there you did the right thing. If your kid was not there, I would tell the gentleman he just bought the gun or it's going to look pretty funny hanging out of his ass.

Wayne

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have shot all over this country. Never been anywhere where you picked up someone elses gun with out asking. Period. Bill

18. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

In your first five years of shooting, you will experience just about every kind of J.O. the good Lord put on this planet. They will pull every dirty trick and un-orthodox type of behavior you can imagine.

Where on God's green earth this does not happen is a mystery to me; is there some place where d!ck heads don't exist? Lemme know, I'm on a jet NOW! GAP

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Loutish behavior.

20. 87AA

87AA TS Member

You probably did the right thing but I think I would have punched the SOB, especially after he told me it needed to be cleaned.

From the FITASC sporting rule book:

7.2 Other shooters’ guns must not be touched without their permission

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.