1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on emergency heat

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

What do you guys use for emergency heat in case of a power outage due to an ice storm? I have an all electric home, no gas service/fireplace, wood stove etc. I was contemplating a big generator, but $4000 is alot for just in case.

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

I find somewhere not affected and get a hotel room

Bill

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Electric heat homes need a big generator to get the electric furnace running.

That is the only drawback on electric heat. You need a minimum of 60 Kw and that is only good for one bank of heaters.

Look at the circuit breakers for the furnace, that will tell you. Most average size houses electric furnaces have 2- 60 Amp brkrs.

That is why I heated with gas or propane, you only need 15-20 amp generator

Dr.longshot

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Kero-Sun kerosene heaters are popular. You need to address venting. Ron

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kerosene heaters will keep a house warm but they also have some serious safety problems (fumes, fire hazard). A propane fireplace can be lit with a match.

Pat Ireland

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I have an electric home also but have a fireplace. With a 5K generator I can then run the circulating fan on the fireplace insert. It has come in handy several times. I also have sump pumps in my basement that need to run at least once an hour so not having power backup is not even an option. Like you say, I would love to have a BIG generator but finances will not allow.

The only inexpensive and relatively safe alternative I see for you is some sort of wood stove. I too believe kerosene heaters and such are somewhat scary.

Steve

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Propane heaters.....new types are very safe and efficient and no need for matches.

Curt

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Had natural gas logs put in the family room and a natural gas heater installed in the basement. Best "improvement" we made to the home but you have to be on a gas line.

9. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I have a Log Home with cathedral ceilings and Electric heat. I installed a vent free propane stove in my downstairs family room. It needs no electricity to fire it up. Best investment I ever made. The heater heats the whole house and is cheaper than electricity. I initially bought it for back-up, but use is as my main heat source now. Check them out at www.northerntool.com

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Have a large mounted on the wall direct vent propane heater in the basement for emergencies. It is tied into our below ground 1000 gallon propane tank that is used with our dual fuel heating system. Also two direct vent propane fireplaces upstairs. Have a connection for a generator to our home electrical system but haven't purchased one due to the mild winters lately. Direct vent is the best way to go with propane.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Its not just all electric heated homes...

Last week I lost power in town for 6 hours and you can't get a forced air, natural gas furnace to run without electricity either...

Jay

12. T/C

T/C TS Member

A small gas generator will run a wood pellet stove. Todays pellet stoves only require a small exhuast pipe thru the wall to vent, and put out a bunch of heat. Also a small gas generator will run several of the liquid filled electric heaters. Of course the generator must be outside in a well ventilated area, NOT in a garage. T.

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I'm all electric, too. We have a chimneyed wood burning stove which does an exellent job, but good ones are not cheap, either.

Buz

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's big enough for your needs, but runs on propane and would at least power some space heaters for a while. Somewhat less than $4K.

15. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I have a 4KW generator and plug it into the furnace with an extension cord - main breakers pulled of course. If needed will hook it into the refrig for 30 min. every few hours. The only thing you HAVE to have elec for is the blower on a gas furnace and the refrig - till the power comes back on. Read a book or sleep at nite. Never needed it for more than 8 hours in 40 years.

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

Wall mounted ventless propane heater will do the trick for you and are not too expensive to buy or operate. My son heated an entire 3 bedroom mobile home for 2 winters with one small heater. And used less than 300 gallons of propane in 2 years.

I believe he only paid about $250 for the heater and it came with all the mounting brackets included--pretty neat deal.Built in thermostat and electronic ignition.

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Have a log home which I heat with an electric heat pump. I have a Vermont Castings Sequoia EPA Woodburning Fireplace in the main area of the house (about 1500 sq. ft. with 24 foot cathedral ceiling). I use a 5kW portable generator that I roll out of the garage and close the overhead door on the cable. I can run lights, TV, DSL router and the blower on the fireplace with the generator. The woodburning fireplace will heat the main area of the home at zero degrees.

Side Note: I have a 24 x 32 detached shop that I heat with propane. Recently I calculated that straight electric resistance heat will produce 64% more heat for the dollar! This is based on $0.06 per Kwh electricity and $2.25 per gallon propane. I have a 5 Kw electric heater hung from the ceiling in the shop so I changed to electric heat last month. The electric heater does not maintain the temperature very well but it does heat the building even down to 10 degrees.

Note on propane tanks: The rules in Indiana let you put a 125 gallon tank (holds 100 gallons of propane) right up against a building. The larger tanks must be located some 30 feet from any structure.

Jim Skeel

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I used to go to somebody else's house, or a hotel. But now I have propane heaters (vented).

I could also jump into a leaf and lawn bag and insert myself into the manure pile, but the internal temperature in that pile would cook me if I stayed in for more than a few minutes. Wish I could harness THAT heat!!!!

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I also have an all electric house & use goe-thermal. For emergency heat I put a direct vent Quadra Fire Propane stove in the basement,vented in & out,snorkle style,of the basement window using an insulated panel to fit where the removeable part of the window goes. The propane comes in this way also. I use a 125 gallon tank right against the house with a liteweight cover made of cedar to match the house siding. It even has ceder shakes for a roof. This unit has a seperate themostat & has a fan but will run with power off. There is also a unit that sits on the stove top & runs a fan off the top heat. I use the top to heat water for bathing. At about 20 degrees at nite my house maintained a temp of 62-64 at a thermostat setting of 75 in the basement. I have a finished basement & 1200 sq. feet first floor + 600 in the second story. Two of the walls are 16' high x 12' glass windows,so that tells you how nice it works. We were out for 30 hours. This unit is nice enough for a living room,some of the newest are simply beautiful. Get a small 2000 watt gen & use that for your fridge & some lights & a small TV.
    Tom Lobonc

20. Stetson 33

Stetson 33 TS Member

I have propane fireplace that heats my whole house plus my generator that
    runs most appliances including furnance.So I am all set except it's a pain changing oil every 8 hours and feeding it fuel every 6.5 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.