1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Downrange wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mecman, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mecman

mecman TS Member

Has anyone experienced using Downrange wads DXL 1 1/8 that their patterns are more open . I started using them and my scores went down also a lot of just chipped birds , went to the pattern board these wads i found shoot much open had to go from a modified choke to a full tyhanks for all or any imput Thanks Gary

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Kevin @ DR said the 8 petal are more open and better suited to Sporting Clays and Skeet, that is exactly what I see although several on here have argued against that. The blue 4 petal gives the same results as a 5 thousands tighter choke and the Versilite MAYBE a little tighter yet. The most open I use is .25 though in an Optima bore for trap.

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Thats interesting as I have patterned the Original Wind Jammer WJII and found the patterns to be slightly tighter and more uniform than 4 petal wads. RG

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I use the Spolar Gold 8 petal 1 1/8oz wad and it patterns exceptionally well. It is soft shooting and loads easily. I have always used a Light Full choke at any yardage. Started using Spolar's Gold 1oz. 4 petal wad and it to works exceptionally well and is comfortable to shoot. These wads are both made by Down Range for Spolar. Fred

5. mecman

mecman TS Member

Cold iron , exactly i had to tighten it up 5 thousanths to get my patterns back

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

I remembered on the way to one of the clubs tonight that the last time I talked to Kevin he said someone just won a State Handicap shoot using his 8 petal wad. Nothing wrong with the wad for long distance if it is choked correctly apparently.

7. mecman

mecman TS Member

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

mecman

You answered your own question. You patterned your gun and got some results that you posted. If you got patterns that are more open, then try a different wad until you get what you like. I have found that the 8 petal wads usually give a more open pattern in most of my guns, with a few exceptions. I use the tried and true 4 petal designs and am happy with most of the results PLUS I don't have to deal with feeding an 8 petal wad into my MEC. There are times that the 8 petal wad might be OK, but the extra trouble of loading them simply is not worth it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.