1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Closed Threads

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Easystreet, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Earlier today, I was wanting to look up some info on threads which I had participated in last year. I wanted to read the comments that were made by myself and by various other posters.

As I looked through the list of the threads I had participated in and began clicking on them to open them, I kept getting the message that "These threads are closed to further posting" or something to that effect. I wasn't interested in posting on the threads. I just wanted to READ them again, but they were GONE...... COMPLETELY.

I don't understand what is happening. I thought that the purpose of having a Thread Watch List was so that you could go back later and find the threads you were interested in or had participated in. What good does it do to have this list if all the posts are deleted from the thread? Just wondering and confused.

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try looking at them on edit/delete. HMB

3. Easystreet

HMB,

Your suggestion doesn't work. There is no "editing" to a thread that no longer exists. The only thing I can "delete" is the thread title on my "Thread Watch List". In effect, the only thing left of the thread is the title to the thread on my Thread Watch List.

Again, I still don't know why all the posts have been deleted from some of the older threads in my Thread Watch List. Is there some magical cutoff date on these threads such as 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or whatever when the posts are automatically deleted?

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Most of the ones I have seen closed like that was due to language or racial statements. Jackie B.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Easystreet

"There is no "editing" to a thread that no longer exists. The only thing I can "delete" is the thread title on my "Thread Watch List""

So tell us where did you go to try to edit your the threads that no longer exist, Maybe you can give us a thread title you are referring to.

People here are trying to help you and you aren't co-operating with them give is something to go on or you may not get the answers you seek.

Bob Lawless

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have not used the thread watch list.

I just went to edit,delete and scrolled to the bottom and clicked next until I was at the bottom and then went to the bottom and clicked next again. Mine went back to April 30,2008. Ray

7. ivanhoe

Ray as I see it he hasn't told us how he is finding this information. If he is using the search feature every thread he clicks on will show him all the post even if it has been closed unless the thread has been deleted by the owner/moderators.

The same for using Edit/Delete Your Messages feature so until he walks us through the process he is using I can't see any way to help him.

Bob Lawless

8. Easystreet

Hey, folks, there's no secret here. I'm talking about the "Thread Watch List" which is shown near the top of the page. Some people may not use this feature. I use it all the time.

Every time I post in a thread, it automatically goes into my Thread Watch List. Even if I don't post in a thread but want to watch the comments in the thread, I can add it to my Thread Watch List by clicking on that button on each post. Then when I come back to this site, I can click on my Thread Watch List and see which threads have had additional comments posted on them. Again, this is no secret. The feature has been available here for probably a year or longer.

So, just click on Thread Watch List at the top of the main topic page. This should show you a list of all the threads in YOUR Thread Watch List. Then go down the page to a thread that was dated about a year ago and click on it and tell me what you see. Did the thread appear or did you get the same message that I got about the threads being closed to further posting?

Sorry if some of you didn't understand my question.

Easystreet

9. Easystreet

Oh, I forgot. You may need to click on the "Change Password/Settings" tab. Then when that page opens, be sure to check the box about adding the thread that you start or reply to to your Watch List. It's easy to do. Takes less than 30 seconds. This sets up your Thread Watch List.

Easystreet

10. ivanhoe

Easystreet I don't know about anyone else I however use the "Thread Watch List" as a short term method of tracking the threads I am interested in.

The reason I do this is because the "Edit/Delete Your Messages" list will do the same thing on the long term(a year or longer)I don't let my thread watch list go more than a couple of weeks then I clear it out.

I can't tell you why the thread you are trying to access are marked closed. The link at the very bottom of the page on the right hand side says

"To report problems with this site email email us"

Click on it and ask the site owner he might be able to shed some light on the problem.

Sorry I can't be more help but I would never have thought to use the thread watch list in the manner in which you use it.

Bob Lawless

11. Easystreet

Bob,

Thanks. Yes, I COULD use the Edit/Delete Your Messages tab to look up messages that I had posted, but the Thread Watch List enables a person to look up messages that they are interested in watching even though they haven't posted in that thread.

For example, when someone posts a picture of a nice gun for sale, I may add it to my Thread Watch List even though I haven't posted on that thread or have no intention of buying that gun. I may just be interested in watching to see whether it eventually sells or if it sells at all.

Of course, this could be used for lots of threads that interest me other than just guns for sale. I think I may report the problem to the site admin if I can't figure out what's wrong by tomorrow.

Thanks again for the info.

Easystreet

12. Easystreet

UPDATE:

It appears that any thread that is over one year since the last posting on it is no longer available. That was the problem. I was trying to look at a couple of threads on my Thread Watch List that were over one year old.

Easystreet

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

What I do to watch a thread is put a . or ^ and submit it just so I can find it in my edit / delete. Sometimes I put "Marked for later read". Ray

14. ivanhoe

Easystreet that was the original impression I got when the feature was add. Short term You can also click on the hyperlink provided at the bottom of your post for "Email a link to this thread" Then save the web address that is generated.

Usually when I come back later I just use the address to get back to the link which usually shows me what ever activity has taken place since I last posted.

You can also right click on the thread in the thread watch list and click on properties and copy the web address that appears, paste it into the address bar and it should take you to the thread you were watching. Of course what you find there is anyones guess. Good luck.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.