1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on classes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

If someone is declared a vet 16 yard event and shoots a 96 and is high in the vet catagory but not high overall in a 16 yard event can they fall back and take c class win? Another question, If a vet does win with a high 16 yard score overall and looses in a shootoff can he fall back to claim vet class? The rule is a little confusing.

2. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

So this is what happened to me. At Newman's Winter Chain, I was a Vet for 16's.
    I wasn't HOA or High Vet but I was high in my class. So I got a buckle for
    High in my class.
    The shoot had about 60 shooters. I was told by the ATA Rep, that if it had
    of been a large shoot, like the Grand, I would have to declare either Vet
    or just shoot for class. Not sure if this is correct.

Mike C.

3. smsnyder

This has happened to me several times and some clubs don't understand the rule. Example, Yesterday A vet shot 96 in a 16 yard event who was also in C class. He had the high score in vet class. Three of us shot 95 in C class. The vet wanted to claim the C class trophy and i thought that was wrong according to the rule book. The club agreed and told Vet he had to take Vet trophy. The three of us shoot off for the C class trophy. Was this correct?

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Earl,

The rule only applies to ATA point shoots, although it can apply to non-point shoots if management chooses.

Assuming it's a point shoot, the high Vet (or any Category) shooter must take the Vet (Category) trophy.

If the Vet (Category) is tied for Champion overall, they can shoot for Champion and if they don't win that shoot-off then they fall back to Category. But if they win that shoot-off they have to take Champion. They can't win the shoot-off and then decide they don't want it and fall back.

5. smsnyder

V10 This shoot had a vet catagory in 16 yard event. The person had a high score in vet catagry of 96. He was also a C class shooter. Three other C class shooters had 95s. We shot off for the 16 yard trophy. I am assuming that was correct. THe club was confused also. Had a great time in my first 16 yard shoot off.

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

To add to the correct answer above, in very basic terms it means if you declare that you are taking the category track, you cannot win a class trophy unless all of your category's trophies go to a higher score. If you at least tie for a category trophy, you cannot take Class even if you lose and go home empty-handed.

7. smsnyder

Than i am correct. The person who declares vet and has high score in vet catagory must take vet trophy? Not C class trophy?

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct when Event Champ trophy is not involved; also anyone tied with him and losing out in Category are still unable to take Class.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Earl,

Like I said, the rule applies to ATA point shoots, but it can apply to non-point shoots if management chooses to do so. In the case you cite, it looks like management chose to use the point shoot rule. That's ok.

Management could also have let the "high" Vet shooter decide what he wanted to do, ala the way the rule used to be. That would have been ok too (I'm assuming that this wasn't a point shoot.)

It would be best if the method was put in the shoot program, but I've not seen many non-point shoot programs that do this.

10. smsnyder

Interesting, This happens often.

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

What happens often? That non-point shoots use the point shoot rule?

Yes, that does happen often, but it's not required. Although when the rule was changed it was expected that most, if not all, small (non-point) shoots would "follow suit."

12. smsnyder

I seen this twice at shoots were guys have looked at the scores boards and saw that a vet had a high score. Maybe 1 target better than they had. They decided to leave the shoot not knowing they still had a chance to win or be in a shoot off because the guy declared himself a vet. V10 thanks

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Never leave the shoot, if your scores are close, until after the shoot offs are called. You never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.