1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Browning Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Just curious.....

Can a gun with Browning Invector chokes be converted over to Invector Plus chokes?

SW

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm no gunsmith but i think it would be tough. Here is a comparison:
    [​IMG]

Browning Invector

[​IMG]

Browning Invector Plus

Notice the location of the threads near the end of the barrel on the regular Invector chokes as compared to lower in the barrel on the Plus chokes.---Matt

3. grntitan

They might be able too though because they could drill the Invector threads out and go deaper in the barrel with the Invector Plus threads. Call Stu Wright, if anybody can he can.---Matt

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've got 4 Brownings that take Invector Plus and I was looking at an older gun with Invector, just wondered if it could be converted so I wouldn't need to have another set.

Thinking I might be better looking for a newer gun.

SW

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Don't think so. It's not the length of the choke tube or the threads. The Invector+ is used in a Browning Over-Bored barrel thats .742". Invector tubes are for a standard Browning barrel.

Wayne

6. grntitan

SW---Just depends on how bad you want the older gun and what it would be worth having them all the same. I personally like the older BT's but don't own one. I wouldn't think it would be a major nor expensive job if its possible. Hell Carlsons will thread a barrel and include a (3) choke set for less than $150. I'd call Wright's if it were me.---Matt

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

StonewallRacing:

Even if such a conversion is possible, it isn't a viable solution. See the following note to grntitan for an explanation...

grntitan:

You are missing Wayne's point.

Assume someone had a 0.729" standard Invector barrel re-threaded to accept 0.742" Invector Plus chokes. The relationship of the relatively small barrel diameter as compared to the relatively large diameter of Invector Plus chokes is all wrong.

The amount of constriction for the Plus chokes wouldn't be correct because you're losing 13/1000" of choke from the gitgo.

For example, a full choke Plus tube measures about 0.708". If you could put it a standard Invector barrel at 0.729 you would have 21/1000" choke. Your full choke Plus tube would in reality be a modified.

sissy

8. grntitan

Sissy--Got the point. I must have been typing as Wayneo was. I didn't read his 'til after i hit Submit. Makes 100% sense why you wouldn't want to do it.---Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.