1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on ATF transfer

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Gary Ferrell, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Gary Ferrell

Gary Ferrell Member

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0

I am in Texas and have a gentleman in another state wanting to purchase a trap gun i have for sale.He would like to come to Texas and pick the gun up,is their any paper work i need from him or do i need to ship to FFL in his home state?
    Thank you
    Gary

2. Gary Ferrell

Gary Ferrell Member

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0

I am in Texas and have a gentleman in another state wanting to purchase a trap gun i have for sale.He would like to come to Texas and pick the gun up,is their any paper work i need from him or do i need to ship to FFL in his home state?
    Thank you
    Gary

3. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You can do a face to face. He can pick it up. Should not be a problem as long as its legal in his state. No paper work involved but you might want to give him a receipt to show he got it from you.

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

0   0   0

Since it's a long gun it can be transferred to an individual from another state as long as it is done through a local FFL on form 4473. I other words you need to meet at your local dealer to do the transfer.

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

LOL! I knew a cop would tell you to go through the ffl procedure! Most guys do not! Tom Rhoads

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

If you are not residents of the same state, it MUST go through a FFL dealer, period. Otherwise you're violating federal, and possibly state laws.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The easiest legal way to do this is for the buyer to get a signed FFL copy from his FFL, have the FFL make him his agent. Then he can come to Texas, as the agent of the FFL and buy the gun. He then returns to his FFL to fill out the 4473.

8. Gary Ferrell

Gary Ferrell Member

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0

Thanks everyone

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

The old contiguous state rule for long gun sales was done away with by the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act. That law allows unlicensed individuals to purchase rifles and shotguns from DEALERS in any state where the sales would be legal...as long as the buyers home state also allows this type of transaction.

Only free people can own weapons. (Isher, 4875 A.D.)

HM

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

You can look up the rules on the ATF website's FAQ.

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

11. eightbore

0   0   0

An agent for an FFL is the same as the FFL. Nothing I am aware of prevents an FFL or his agent from buying a gun out of state. Of course, as a poster stated, the transaction could also be completed at a Texas FFL premisis. I assume the Texas FFL would purchase the gun and resell it on a 4473 to the out of state purchaser. No fuss, no muss.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Speaking in Bubba terms, an agent of the FFL is one the dealer withholds taxes from, i.e, an employee.

Find a local pawn shop who will transfer for a few bucks, or be discrete, your choice.

I would never suggest a person break any law.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Good time to study the fifth amendment .....

14. eightbore

0   0   0

User, do you mean to imply that the hundreds of dealers that attend the Grand or Winter Vegas gun show every year go there and don't buy or sell any guns?

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Break the law? Heavens no, but don't put anything on the internet suggesting otherwise either.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

"Anyone who feels cheated by paying 'transfer fees', should obtain a FFL and try staying in 'compliance' with all Federal, State, and Local laws."

What User said. LOL

There are so many ways to get in a trick with the ATF, that they could likely close most dealers if they really wanted to. (sigh)