1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on an 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warren, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warren

warren Member

I have an 870 that I use as a backup gun in my trapshooting, it does kick more than my XT which is backbored, but really smokes em. If I put a 3" barrel on it, which I understand are interchangable, would that act the same as backboring and kick less??????

warren

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Warren, I to shot a 870 for awhile and now have it for a back up as well. I had to install a in-stock weight in the stock hole as long as possible. Then I got a end cap weight (holds on fore-end) to balence out the gun. You can get the cap weight at Jim's Eye and Ear (904) 260-9498. These guns are far to light in weight without some help. After I added both weights I really like shooting that ole 870 alot more now. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would only be "backbored" 1/4 inch and recoil would be the same. If you want to reduce recoil increase the weight of the gun. You can cast some 8 oz lead cylinders and place a couple in the magazine tube and put some in the butt stock. Use an old 2by4 and a spade drill to make the mold. HMB

4. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have both the 870 and an 1100. Of course the 1100 is much softer while shooting it. But, the 870 I have more rounds through it and I don't even pay any attenion to the kick any longer. If you don't use any kick eazers or weight it down you just got to get used to the kick. I have noticed on some of them they can kick like a Mule others are about half that. I have nothing in mine for weight or any type of kick eaze and it smokes the clays. But age has cought up with me so I keep the 870 as my backup and will shoot one of the two 1100's depending on what targets I am shooting at the time. Most barrels or choke tubes I use are either Improved Mod. or Mod. The Mod. is a 29 incher, it is used for longshots or handycap from the 24 on back. The Improved Mod. is a 26 incher with an Improved Mod. choke tube. I use this one for 16's and Handycap up to the 24. Depending on the wind for that day or time of the shoot. I do have a 29incher in Full. This is used on cold days and very windy shoots. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly).

5. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I just got back from the club shooting my 870 and I installed the Tom Morton magazine reducer in it. Helps a lot plus weight in the butt, about like the 1100 now.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

You could try the Ireland Elite 870 Recoil Reducer. Take an empty shell, put the amount of shot you want in the shell and fill the remaining part of the shell with a rag or something. A bit of any glue on the rag is a good thing. Crimp the shell and put it in the front of the magazine spring with the brass head toward the end of the barrel. The brass head will hold the special recoil reducer in place at the forward end of the spring.

When you shoot the gun you can hear the reducer move back against the spring and then return to it stationary position.

You can make the thing yourself and then send me any compensation you wish If you use the device to win the $100,000 at the Grand, don't forget me.

Pat Ireland

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Back boring will not reduce recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.