1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on 870?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I bought an 870 and was Just wondering If anybody had a book and could tell me If it was a Trap grade or not? I know I can call Remington tomorrow But I wanted to ask on here first. It has a 30" Fixed full choke, Vent rib standard height. The forearm has a fancy cut checkering on it different than any wingmasters I have ever seen. It has a Morgan adjustable recoil pad and the serial# starts with the Letter "T" T161633V is the serial Number. Anybody with a book that can tell me anything? Thanks

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

All of the Wingmaster Trap grades that I have seen including mine will be marked on the reciever as TB Trap, TC Trap etc. The farther into the alphabet you get the nicer they are including the figure of the wood. Starting with the TC grade you get cut checkering instead of the standard Remington pressed checkering. Hope this helps a little bit.

Steve

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

targetmaster

I can't help you on the serial number right now because I lost the site where I had the info from but here is a link to put the barrel code in to tell the month and year date but it is only for Remington guns made 1921-1972 only.

Im sure you will get the answer to your question later.

I know my TB grade has the TB on the side and I did have a TA before but now can't remember if it said TA or just a T.

Foghorn

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The serial number on my 870 TA begins with a "W". It has no markings that indicate that it is a trap gun as do the "TB", "TC", "TC Trap" and other trap models. Also, a TA trap has pressed checkering.

Trap guns, unless modified, normally have a straight stock with the comb (top of rear stock) parallel to the rib. Field grades, skeet and SC guns normally have a crooked (i.e., bent like a dog's hind leg) butt stock and a comb that is at an angle to the rib.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that with all of the after market parts out there and the ease of changing things around it is very easy to make an 870 receiver and basic parts into anything you might consider with after market or used stocks, barrels and other parts.

Of the five 870 Wingmaster 12 gauges that live at my house only 2 have the stocks that they left the factory with. Two of the other three I bought used with different stocks than they left the factory with and the other one I put much nicer wood on it than it came with.

So the call to Remington will tell you how it left the factory, but someone who had it before you could have bought a really nice used trap stock for it.

6. 333t

333t Member

Trap grade 870's don't have special serial numbers but they will say 870TB, 870TC, etc. on the left side of the receiver. The T stands for trap and the letter (A,B,C) signifies the grade of wood.

Phil

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok what does a 870 Turkey gun say for the serial number didn't know if it had a T on it or not.

Gobel Gobel Gobel.

Really i was wondering if they did have anything different.

Fog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.