1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on 870 TC Trap choke tubes?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Dog Dad, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

I recently returned to trap after a long period and I'm shooting a Rem 870 TC Trap from the 80's or 90's with the choke tubes marked Remington Full Trap, Extra Full Trap and Super Full Trap. From previous posts, I think it has a back bored barrel at 0.745". It has a small step in the back of the rib.

I measured the tubes today. They are 2.033" long with the Full Trap tube being 0.736" at the muzzle and 0.740" at the interior beginning of the tube. The Extra Full Trap tube is 0.711" at muzzle and 0.735" at beginning of tube. The Super full Trap tube is 0.694" at the muzzle and 0.738" at the beginning of the tube.

I've been shooting the Full Trap tube and am questioning the minimal restriction. I'm a one-eyed, 63-year old shooter who is anything but quick. In your expert opinions, should I change to a tighter tube, and if yes, which one? This is merely practice from the 16 yard line. Thanks!

Mike

Also, the s/n on the 870 is W920XXXV. Can anyone possibly date the manufacture date on this?

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I shoot an 870 TC trap similar to the one mentioned in your post. I also have an 11/87 Premier trap (circa 1987) with the .745 over bored barrel and another 870 TC .745 over bored barrel mounted on an 870 TA. Each of these barrels has choke tubes marked "full", "extra full" and "super full".

My understanding is that the barrel itself has an internal 16 points of constriction before it reaches the choke tube (.745 - .729 = .016). This allowed Remington to use standard Rem Choke tubes (full, modified and improved cylinder) with the over bored barrel but with different markings.

The "Super Full" is a standard Rem Choke "full" tube which is .690. Thus the "Super Full" has 55 points of constriction calculated as follows: .745 - .690 = .055.

The "Extra Full" is a standard Rem Choke "modified" tube which is .709. Thus the "Extra Full" has 36 points of constriction calculated as follows: .745 - .709 = .036.

The "Full" is a standard Rem Choke "improved cylinder" tube. I do not have the dimensions of the the "improved cylinder tube" but my understanding is that it has 31 points of constriction.

I use the "super full" for games and it really can reach out and break targets. It will totally smoke targets at 16 yards.

I use the "extra full" for ATA shooting at 16 yards and short handicap. I shoot 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's and it breaks targets very nice. I like smoke and with fewer 7 1/2's than 8's, I like a tight pattern.

I have tried the "full" choke for 16 yards with good results. The breaks are not smoke like for the "extra full" or "super full" but they are good breaks. I have shot several 25 straights with the "full" choke and size 8 shot.

I would shoot the "full" choke tube at 16 yards and the "extra full" all the way back to the 27 yard line.

Pattern your gun to see how each choke tube actually shoots.

Ed Ward.

3. Big Dog Dad

School Teacher - Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure about the barrel constriction itself.

And as usual on this forum, you get the person who has nothing to add to your question, but feels compelled to criticize your post. I don't know if this satisfies some ego thing or it elevates themselves in their own mind's eye. I guess you just have to wade through the non-relevant posts to find your answer. So far the score is one to one.

Mike

4. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but Twinbirds is correct in his assessment.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

School teacher is correct with the information that he shared regarding the tubes for those barrels and the fact that the barrel has about 0.016 of fixed choke right before the choke tube.

It is not easy to measure the tubes without a bore micrometer like the unloader sells here. However your measurements are probably somewhat close to what the tubes actually measure

I have one of those micrometers and have owned at one time or another 5 of those barrels so have the measurements to back up what I share...

What may help you is to pattern the gun and see how/ what kind patterns you get and to try the different tubes to see what you consistantly get the most decent breaks with.

To start with I would shoot it some more with the most open choke in it until I got the rust off of things and then see about tightening up the choke a little.

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

FlaLagarto makes a very good point regarding the fact that someone could have had something or done something themselves to the barrel if you have not been the sole owner.

What School teacher indicated above is how the barrel would have left the factory.

Another person that has a wealth of knowledge on these barrels is AverageEd.

7. Big Dog Dad

Just to let folks know, I purchased the gun new so this eliminates the idea of any alterations to the tubes.

Mike

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Remington put the constriction in the barrel to avoid having to make special choke tubes. Standard Remchokes work, although the markings will not jibe.

Try the regular IC or Skeet chokes at 16 yards for fun.

These barrels are target smashers.

HM

9. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The 3 remchoke tubes supplied gave me poor performance, both on the line and at the pattern plate. I ended up using a Carlson's IM .705 flush tube. Much more consistent results at 16 yds.

10. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

to find out what year it was made call 800-243-9700 and Remington will tell you after you give them the serial number. I have 2 870tc's both made in 1990 with the step rib barrels and I have patterened all degrees of chokes in them and found the normal remington full or imp.mod works as good as any, Those special chokes that come with the gun are not any better or different than the regular remchokes. I use a Comp n Choke full with very good results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best trap choke for a remington 870 tc

choke tube remington 870 tc trap
remington 870 tc chokes

remington 870 tc trap shotgun chokes

remington extra full trap choke

remington super full trap choke

remington trap choke tubes
remington trap chokes tubes