1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question on .338 lapua mag. ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

has anyone had experiance with a rifle cartrige .338 lapua mag.?- ballistics-recoil ect and where do you buy this type of ammunition?--after reading the NRA rifleman magazine about the savage 110 , i'm building a desire to own and shoot one--but honestly, i dont know why!! i,m not even a blackgun guy!!

2. acss

yes i did -but i thot, surely there are cheaper shells?--i am not a blackgun gun guy- but this gun says "own me"!!!

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'm sure with muzzle energy at or near the 5000 ft lb level recoil will be substantial. Any muzzle brake capable of taming that will no doubt be really loud and obnoxious.

Hand loading is the only way to shoot in any substantial amount without breaking the bank.

Jim

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Sako TRG-42 rifle in .338 Lapua Mag complete with muzzle brake and bipod, which I use for 1000yd target-shooting. When I bought the rifle 3-4 years ago, I also got 50 boxes of Blackhills ammo. At that time they were going for $42/box. I do not know what they are now, as I have since been reloading. It is a heavy rifle and because of the effective muzzle brake, recoil is very manageable. Accuracy is tops at 0.5MOA. Chichay

5. acss

i am not even a rifle guy- but put a value on being the only person having one that i know?!--i think its from poor parenting--just joking!!!--yes , some day i want to do 1000yd shots, heck right now i am tickled at 200!!--i watched the video, wayout west called beyond belief. they are making those shots with a custom rifle 6.8 or 7mm & .243 necked down to something?, w/ a huskemaw scope calibrated turrets. their rifles are $6-7000 but yes less recoil and if you buy their shells w/ burger bullets-$50(?)-- i know i am talking 2 differant guns

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If you got the money do it!

7. acss

geeeeees! between sarge's deadon comments( i am not a hunter- just a sunday afternoon plinker w/ a strong budget for things i really dont need but feel the urge to own!) , your comment on other guns that will do the same thing is well taken. and i will research more.---and when i read supershot's- the trapgun cost analogy is EXACTLY what i was thinking--now the one problem i can see, is, if and when i get tired of owning this type of gun-WHO is gonna buy it? will it really sell well at my estate aution when my wife sells all the stuff she's hated( seen no value in) all these years???????----one more thing, not being a real rifle shooter- i am absolutely amazed at all the differant loads and calibers with so many differant oppinions--it overwelhms me-thanks

8. acss

i forgot-- yes the scope cost, holds true for what i have heard--spend almost as much on the scope as you do the rifle--but go to a gunshow and see what used scopes bring??? altho i have never really looked at real good ones used?

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

DIY for the fun of it, and for the accuracy. Here's my McGowen barreled Stevens in 6.5x47 Lapua topped off with a Hawke Eclipse 6-24x50 scope. My first group measured just .156!
    Not bad for under $1000.00!

AndyH ;-)
    [​IMG]

10. acss

so how much $ do you have in that steup? and why did you go with that 6.5x47 (which i dont really understand the #)?

11. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Look at Larry Crow, Competitive Edge Gun Works, Bogard, MO.Larry has done alot of work with this on government sniper trials. He has developed a new bedding system that works great. 2-3 inch 1000 yards common.

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

"so how much $ do you have in that steup? and why did you go with that 6.5x47 (which i dont really understand the #)? "

Approximately $970 total, not including reloading dies.

If you do a little research on the 6.5x47 Lapua round, maybe you will understand why I chose it. ACCURACY - with minimal recoil. It's the round the U.S. Marines use!!! 'Nuff said!

I really don't understand your last....?????

AndyH :-|

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Any derivitive of the 6.5mm (260 Remington,6.5 Creedmore,6.5x47 Lapua) will reach out as far as you need accurately and without all the unnecessary recoil.

The 1000yrd Camp Perry record is held by a 6.5 wildcat with a 20" barrel! I believe the 5 shot group is just a little over 4", but don't quote me on that.

The other plus, the 6.5 is an outstanding hunting bullet.

ss

14. acss

i quess i need to bone up on what the caliber #s mean--what does the 47 mean?

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

acss,

6.5x47... think metric, all in mm. 47 is the length of the brass in mm.

Chichay

16. acss

thanks--just be easy on me--i'm a shotgun auto- shooter!! i didnt own a rifle bigger than a 22 up to a year ago!!!

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Recently shot a .194" 100 yard group out of my Remington 700 Sendero using the 180 Berger VLD hunting bullet with Retumbo powder that clocks at 2,934 fps. During load development, five other loads with that bullet and other powders (Rel 22 & Rel 25) went from .474 to .738".

Scope is a Leupold 6.5-20X40mm LR with a custom ballistic elevation turret made for that 180 Berger. Check out the video I have linked.

18. acss

thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.