1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on 101 trap????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimmyc, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I have a chance to buy a 101 pigeon grade trap shotgun. It has a monte carlo stock & 30" barrel w/winchokes. My question is how high do these guns typically shoot? Are they relatively flat shooting? I know I need to shoot it but I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect.
    Jimmy

2. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Vern is right about the Diamond Grade shooting 60/40 The Pigeon will also shoot 60/40
    They are flat shooting guns. I have both a Diamond and Pigeon Grade.
    If you can get one at a good price dont pass it up. They will last forever as long as you have them serviced and you take care of them.

Jason in PA

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Mine is gone now. Wish I had it back. Shot about 60/40.

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have a Pigeon 32" fixed full and I-mod no case, and a Diamond 30" original case and choke tubed on the bottom. Both as new..........merlyn

5. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

I had one, as others, sorry I sold it.

Mine shot high, maybe 70/30 because I have a big cheekbone to eye distance. It did shoot lower than my BT-99 does (it feels like "100/0")

Wray Paul

6. Breann$$$

Breann$$$ TS Member

Jimmy, Just recently purchased used 101 pigeon, fixed chokes, estate sale, $1200, was mint shape, maybe paid too much but never had an over/under & wanted to get into doubles. Seemed to shoot high for me also, so I had a stock man lower it for me both beads, figure 8. Seems to work for me but still working on getting doubles down.

Greg

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Before you buy, check to see that the rib is securely soldered. 101's have a history of poorly soldered ribs that pop loose. Requires removing and resoldering everything, as well as a reblue. You'd be looking at around $150+ for relaying the rib(s) and several hundred $$ for a rust reblue job.

Ask me how I know...

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have 5 of the original version which should be the model before your manufacture. All shoot somewhat different POI's but for the most part a flat gun (ie 60/40).

9. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Thanks for tge info. I know bout the ribs. Got one that was reattached w/epoxy. Im looking at tgis one... Has a case, in very nice shape, choke tubes, 30" barrel, m/c stock. What would the value be? I was thinking $1000-1200. Don't want to cheat him but he just said pay what it's worth.
    Jimmy

10. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Jimmy, if you want to shoot a 30" fixed-choke Pigeon Grade (Broadway-ribbed) trap gun, I have one and you can shoot it any time. I know what people are talking about the ribs "coming loose" because the guy I bought mine from, also had (2) Nikko's that were identical to the Winchester I bought from him, and BOTH of his Nikko's had the ribs pop loose. I haven't had a problem with mine, and liked how it shot. Never had the recoil problem so many people associate with Winchesters, but wouldn't sell it. I has a beautiful piece of wood and I had it re-finished a few years ago to bring out the real beauty that Winchester covered up with their combination stain/finish. Put a very hard polyurethane finish on it, and is still fun to shoot; just not as much fun as my Blued Super Scroll K-80 !!! Mike* (MH*)

11. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Mike,
    I was looking at this for a friend who wants a gun for everything. If he doesn't buy it I'm thinking about buying it for a "dove gun". Thats why I was curious about poi. Not ready to give up my k80.
    Jimmy

12. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I have two 32 inch Pigeon O/U's, they shoot pretty much flat and I have never had a rib come loose on either one.(firing pins & ejector hammer problems, yes, ribs no) Both have fixed chokes(full/I/M)One has Spears double release that I use for 16's & caps, the other has double pull triggers that I use for doubles. The one was new, a trophy from the KTA, I bought it from the winner, Earl McCall, for $700. The other with the release triggers was used, $400. As you can tell from the prices I've had both of them for some time. When I'm gone my son and grandsons get them along with my Dad's old '97! I have over 200,000 registered targets, all with a 101, don't know if that make me dumb, frugal or smart!

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Mine shoots about 60/40 flat shooting, I on the other hand shoot a bit low now that's a problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.