1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question o/u barrels Trap guns compare Sporters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Marsh, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Looking at getting an o/u longer barrel for my Perazzi MX3. I have a 28" barrel with a low rib. I am looking at a 32" barrel with a slightly higher rib. It is part of a combo set.

The 32" barrel muzzles are a little less than 1/8" closer together than the 28". The 32" barrel chokes rub on each other. Not seriously, just touching and the chokes on the 28" are definetely further apart.

Is this just the natural convergence of longer barrels? The further you get from the breech, the closer they get together and the extra four inches of barrel length brings the muzzles closer together?

Could it be that the bottom barrel on the 32" is set to shoot at a higher POI?

I am not interested in trap as much as in sporting clays.
  2. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Since I want to shoot Sporting Clays, is it likely that this 31 1/2" barrel (as I mentioned is part of a combo) is made to shoot higher than a skeet or flat-shooting barrel?

If so, this would not be my best choice for sporting clays.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The MX-3 is designed to shoot Top barrel first. On my O/U 29 1/2 inch both barrels shoot the same POI about 60/40 but I raise my comb to see some rib so they shoot a little high. There are no side ribs so the MX-3 is a quick handling gun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.