1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question.. neat hole in pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vdt, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdt

vdt Active Member

i need to put a nice clean 1/4 " hole in a kick-ezz pad ,how to do it?????????????

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There is a drill bit that does that - I've seen gunsmiths use one. Or I guess you could freeze the pad and use a standard twist drill.

Ed

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Throw the pad in the freezer until it is good and hard, then use a sharp drill bit. It'll come out as slick as a whistle.

ss

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well for my XT with the factory adjustable stock hardware, I took the eraser out of a pencil and then put the pencil in the drill and carefully cut the hole. Looks good and not sure why the shop that fit the pad couldnt do it but its done and looks nice!! Didnt have to freeze, and if you have the arrows they work awesome too(I didnt have any that small)

Jerry

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I made a Bit out of a 357 Mag case . Drill out the primer pocket and install a small bolt to use in your drill . Works well and a very neat hole .

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Use a piece of 1/4 inch tubing and a drill. Just sharpen one end of the tube with a file. Makes a neat clean hole in soft rubber.

Jim

7. high 2

high 2 Member

Chuck up a 25-06 case in a drill press spray some armour all on the pad. Drill on high speed. LG

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

vdt- The simplest way is to cut, with a sharp knife a slot in the pad and use a lubricated screwdriver to tighten the pad. The screw, lubricated and the screw screwdriver will slide through the slot and when removed the slot will go back together. If you want to cut out a plug, a sharpened rifle/pistol cartage chucked in a drill will give a clean hole and a plug that can be put back in the hole. I prefer the cut slot over plugs.

Pat Ireland

9. andybull

andybull Active Member

I use a sharp drill bit and then hit it with with a Dremmel tool and a stone the size of the bit.

Andy

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Pat

I was at Roy Knight's Custom Guns in Connersville In. one night, and I saw Roy dip a philips into a jar of light lubricant before he put it through the slot of the pad. He said he always did this so the screwdriver slid in easily, and didn't burr up the hold while turning the screwdriver.

He said if there is no visible hole in the pad, he cuts a cross slot with a new razor blade.

Sorry Roy is gone, because he was a good one.

11. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Gunsmith told his method and it worked like a charm for me. Used a regular sharp bit of the needed size for the hard plastic base. For the rubber he used a piece of aluminum arrow shaft beveled on the inside. It made an extremely smooth cut with no tearing of the soft rubber.

12. oz

oz Active Member

screw remover bits should work fine, they look like a little hole saw. oz

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Probably for the stock bolt tool, such as for the Perazzi's?

I use a brass shaft sharpened out-side-to-inside taper. I place the pad in a vice and the shaft in the dril press then spray WD40 on the pad and go slowly, but not slow enough or long enough to head up the pad.

I would NEVER, EVER use a prill bit as this tears of the pad terribly.

A cold pad cut smoother than a hot pad.

Whiz

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz- Good thinking. I was thinking about screw holes, not stock bolt hole. I have made stock bolt holes almost the same way. I cut a sink riser tube (water supply) to around 6 inches and sharpened the inside to a long taper with a rat tail file. The only way I could control the heat problem was to drill a little, lift the cutter and use some water on the pad and a lubricant on the outside of the cutter. I would leave the pad in the vice on my drill press and take out a little, splash a bit of water in the hole, lube the outside of the cutter and do something else for 10 minutes and repeat the process. The heat results from the outside of the cutter rubbing against the walls of the hole. After you get to the hard plastic, I would drill a small hole in the center and then the correct size hole from the back side of the pad.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.