1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question: Is it a lost target if you don't fire?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

question: Is it a lost target if you don

If you call for a bird but do not fire at it, is it always marked as a lost target?
    The reason I'm asking about the rules is that I'm dealing with a flinch that pops up on average 2x per round. Sometimes I fire and miss (always low left), sometimes I catch myself, re-aim, fire, (and usually miss that time too), and sometimes I catch myself after the flinch but before I shoot, stop, and call for another bird, generally breaking the target.
    I understand that simply letting birds go would open matches up to "selective shooting", and this is obviously not a mechanical problem, at least not a gun problem. Is there any acceptable circumstances for passing on a legal target?
    How do you score it?
    Maybe I should stop and take the shell out, give it a stupid look, then blame the shell...
    dju

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

A "Flinch" Is an allowable Failure to Fire according to the rulebook. There are many here that will argue that it shouldn't be. None the less it is a legitimate reason for a FTF.

Bob Lawless

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are allowed 2 FTFs per sub event(25 target round). That means 8 FTFs per 100 target event. All you have to do is tell the scorer that you flinched and he will give you another bird to shoot at. HMB

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The Flinch can be a real pain! Just for your info, for me a gun that fit me was the end of flinching. You are going to get a lot of info on flinching, release triggers etc. When I went from a field gun to a single barrel trap that was fitted to me, the 1 to 2 bird per round flinch was done. Just my personal experience. Bill

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to tell the scorer why you failed to fire the gun. If you tell him that you flinched, he will give you another target to shoot at. HMB

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shouldn't need to tell the scorer anything - it is a failure to fire and you get two per sub-event. After that they are lost birds.

The failure to fire means the gun didn't go off and the it doesn't matter why it didn't go off. Could be mechanical could be mental. So if this flinch is resulting in two FTF in 25 shots pretty soon it will be 5 in 25 and at that point you may as well give it up or get a release trigger.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

HMB, I thought you only got two FTF per event? Section 7 D-1. Section 7-c-2.

Wayne

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

So what do you do if the score keeper decides to invoke this rule...<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

As said, You get two Failure to fires per round and 8 per 100 target event. Not shooting a target for the reason you give "Flinch" is fine and OK in trap!!! Now don't try this while shooting in a NSSA or a NSCA event though. It will cost you a target every time. If I were you I'd look into some lighter loads,maybe a lower hold point, or a release trigger in the order I just suggested would be best. Best of Luck and break em all. Jeff

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You have to tell the scorer that you are invoking the FTF rule, and indicate that it was a flinch. Otherwise, unless he can see the reason you didn't fire, he would have to mark the target lost.

When I first started flinching I did invoke the FTF rule, often several times in an event. It probably affected the other shooters in the squad more than me,
    so I went to a release trigger.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A flinch is considered an involuntary action, Keller.... your example is a voluntary action.

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You wrote: "Sometimes I fire and miss (always low left), sometimes I catch myself, re-aim, fire, (and usually miss that time too)"

Sometimes a flinch is caused by a crossfire where the off shoulder eye takes over and the sight picture does not look right to your brain. Have you tried shooting with a Magic Dot tape patch on your off shoulder lens ?

13. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

You do not have to tell the scorer anything, it's a FTF even if you forget to put a shell in your gun, or have the safety on.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"You do not have to tell the scorer anything, it's a FTF even if you forget to put a shell in your gun"

Are you saying that you feel it is OK to let a high school student scoring for you determine the out come of your score. By letting them decide whether it was a "Flinch" or not you deserve what ever you get.

Bob Lawless

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Welcome to La La Land. HMB

16. Two Dogs

Bob...It's not the scorers job to decide if you flinched or not, or didn't take the safety off....their job is to tell you that was a failure to fire, and give you another target and mark a F in the score box.It's your job to tell the scorer if you had a slow or fast pull when they might have called you on a FTF...

17. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

You definitely want to tell the scorer when you get a slow pull or a quick pull to make sure they don't record it as a failure to fire. As for telling them about a flinch, you probably should say failure to fire otherwise they may decide you missed the target.

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The PITA rulebook specifically includes "flinch" in the list of valid reasons for FTF.

19. Two Dogs

Hey Mike...How's things in AB.?

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Go to a release trigger. If you allow it to continue it will only get worse and you need to think about the effect on you fellow squad mates. At some point it becomes distracting to other shooters if it continues as it breaks the rhythm of the squad. Not a good thing for anyones score.

JMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.