1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

>>> Question/Help: THE USAGE OF COMBO

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap3832, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap3832

trap3832 TS Member

I am interested in Combo and wish to find how you enjoy/use combo in shooting. Many people use single(top or un) for 16 or 27-yard, and o/u for doubles. Some people use only either single or o/u. If they use only one barrel, they just keep the other barrel and waist money. If you use both barrels, you might need to adjust comb when you switch barrels. In addition to inconvenience, POI might be different and you might maintain lower scores.

How do you utilize COMBO? Do we really need COMBO? Would you share your experience? If COMBO is recommended, what model do you like? Thank you. - Joseph.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have 2 different guns, a TMX for Singles and Handicap and an MX3 for Doubles. I like the POI for each gun and the TMX shoots higher than the O/U. I'm not fond of having the locking block wear at different amounts and trying to keep the Top lever to the right with 2 barrel sets.

3. trap3832

trap3832 TS Member

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Joseph.... I shoot a Perazzi DB-81 Combo and am very happy with it. Both barrels shoot to the same POI, and the gun weighs the same with either barrel on it. I prefer a combo because it allows me to mount the gun the same way every time, I get the same sight picture everytime, the trigger is always the same, and the gun feels the same to me whether I'm shooting singles or doubles. I don't have to make any adjustments, either mechanically or mentally, to shoot my targets. I shot 2 guns for singles and doubles for many years, but, after buying my first combo, I soon realized the advantages of shooting a combo and have never looked back. Locking block wear has been a non-issure for me with any combo I have owned. Doug Braker, the Gun Doctor, makes sure the locking block is done the right way, the first time, and it is trouble free.... Just my opinion...Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Ditto what Dan Thome (Trap2) says. I was using two guns and have now gone to a combo and really like it. If I had to start all over however, I think an O/U would work for all trap disciplines.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I bought a Beretta combo last year. Following the advice of Averaged, I first set up the comb,etc with the o/u barrels (fixed rib) to meet my likes. Then, using the adjustable rib, I set up the single barrel to work well from 16-27 yards. With that done, I can shoot singles anywhere from 16-27 yards with no changes (unless I make minor rib adjustment) and then switching barrels but no stock changes, shoot doubles just fine. Weight is same with either barrel, balance the same and no need to change anything with the stock. Works great for me (though perhaps not for someone else). But the ability to use the same stock, trigger feel, etc is the advantage, in my opinion, to a combo. Not everyone likes this however. It really is a personal thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.