1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question from a new guy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Redbone311, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

I am just starting out Trap shooting. I shot maybe two rounds about 35 years ago.
    I recently picked up a Miroku O/U fixed Full/Full Trap shotgun and am planing to shoot it tomorrow AM.
    But I also now have a guy looking to trade me his cased BT-99 w/ 32" fixed full and 34" fixed full barrels (both 12 ga singles) for a Colt Python.
    Any recommendations guys?
    Not sure yet if I will like it enough for 2 guns. Will find out tomorrow.
    Or if I do; should I go with just one gun, and then which one?
    What is the point of having the 2 barrels? I am guessing for shooting further back you use the longer one? Or to slow down a fast swinging shooter? Or what?
    I know time will tell here. But I don't want to be rude and put the other guy on hold forever either.
    Suggestions guys?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Redbone311: Kinda depends on how much you're in love with the Python, that said you didn't give the bbl length of your O&U. Generally speaking a longer sighting plane helps in pointing, and some people prefer the balance and swing of a longer (or shorter) bbl. O&Us can to some people ie. small frame--not too athletic--women--etc. feel a bit muzzle heavy. If possible ask if you could shoot a couple rounds (25) with the BT to compare how it "feels--fits" to your O&U. Either gun will serve you well until (unless) you start shooting doubles. Ross Puls

P.S. Welcome to a VERY addicting game. ENJOY

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I suggest you try the Miroku O/U first, see if this fits you. O/U can get you into shooting doubles later. But the gun has to fit you.

BT is a great gun for the money, the trend these days is "longer", 34" is more popular. But in reality, 32" and 34" doesn't make meaningful differences in a SBT. If you must, an added choke tube can change the balance of it. There's no need to keep both barrels.

Python is a collectable item these days, I can't suggest what to do with it since there's no guaranty what the future will bring.

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I'd just shoot the o/u for a while.

It won't be hard to turn a Python into a BT-99 so no use rushing into that deal.

5. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

Dave the BT99 might have a difference POI try it befor making a deal.
    Salutations
    Pierre

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Just fyi the 32 inch barrel would be a throw-away on the bt. Doesn't add any value to the gun in fixed full. in fact a bt with a 32 inch bbl is much harder to sell making the value of the gun less. I can't even see why he has two barrels for this if they both are full. Probably first had only the 32 and then purchased the 34 later on. Bill

7. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

The Miroku O/U (Browning Citori) is 30 inches, full/full.
    And I'm a big guy, 6'2" 240 lbs. So the heft of the gun doesn't bother me. And will help tame the recoil I would think.
    I'm not that attached to the Python anymore. I have had that for about 35 years. And have S&W's and Dan Wessons that are better shooters (for me anyways).
    The BT99 is almost in like new shape, and with a Hartman case.
    But I think I would be better off and would prefer one with an adjustable comb instead of 2 similar barrels

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I would check the chokes on those guns again. I've never seen a Miroku Trap that was imported by Charles Daly with a Full and Full. Most have Modified or Improved Modified on the bottom and full on top.

The two barrel set Bt-99 were the same way from the factory, 32" was Mod, or IM, and the 34" was full. Never seen a two barrel set full and full, doesn't make any sense.

You are getting good advice, I like what Rick said. Shoot the O/U they are good guns and parts for it are plenty.

That Python should get you a BT-99 with all the bells and whistles, whenever you want.

Wayne

9. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

You could always add an adjustable comb to the BT-99. You might be surprised how well you like the 32 inch barrel on the BT. You could always have the choke opened up a little for singles.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot the guns, see if they are user friendly and break targets. Then you can make an intelligent decision. HMB

11. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

Thanks guys for all your help. It is very much appreciated.
    I AM going to pass on the BT-99. I can't test fire it as it is several states away. I can't see any sense to having a gun with both barrels so similar. And like many pointed out, I can always convert the Python into a single barrel trap in the future if and when I need it.
    BTW the Miroku isn't a Charles Daly. I believe it was pre- Charles Daly. Gun is just marked: BC Miroku OTW Trap Gun. It is marked with one star for each barrel. A test of the chokes with a gauge confirmed that it is full and full. And it has a very wide (5/8 of an inch) rib on top.
    I had originally wanted a BT-99 instead. But I will shoot this one for a while and we will see how this all plays out.
    Thanks again to all. very much appreciated.
    Dave

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Good move Dave...If you were still considering the BT trade I would think if your Python is in excellent shape I'd think you should ask for cash kicked in..a two barrel set fixed choke BT even in mint shape and in a case will fall short of value of a very nice Python by a little bit

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Redbone, what Calvin said. In my opinion a Python would/should be worth atleast a couple hundred more than that BT. I would also make sure both barrel serial numbers match as wayneo stated, all the two barrel sets I've seen had the 32"barrel with an imp. mod. choke.

slayer, Browning made a two barrel set with 32/34" barrels.

14. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

keep the python!

15. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

keep the python!

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Keep your Python. You will regret getting rid of it. Pythons are rare. BT99s are a dime a dozen. After a year of shooting trap, you might even decide you want something else, and your Python will be gone, gone, gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.