1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for you guys that have Sleep Apnea?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tarheel, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarheel

tarheel Member

And of Course us a Sleep Machine!

I wonder how many of you have switched to the full swivel mouth peice?

I have been told the Flex-Fit is the way to go,(model #407)?

Any comments,please?

Tarheel

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Not for me thanks. Besides being slightly claustrophobic I had some very bad experiences with the masks that left me with a permanant scar. My wife and myself currently use the nasal pillows her for about a year and me for 14 years and would never go back to the mask. Just my opinion but the 407 looks more like a medieval torture device than something that is supposed to aid your sleep or make it more comfortable.

--- Chip King ---

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I also prefer the nose pillows, much lighter on the face.

If you are a mouth breather you could wear a chin strap.

4. warren

warren Member

My wife uses a mask and doesn't like it and I don't know what a nose pillow is please explain

warren

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They strap under the nose with soft nostril ports that provide the air.

If you do a search online I'm sure you can find pics. Resmed is a supplier.

6. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

the first couple of weeks i tolerated the mask well. things then went downhill fast. woke every morning with it on the bedpost or on the floor. fought the damn thing for 1 1/2 years. i finally saw an ENT dr who suggested U3P surgery. had it in January of this year and went through 17 days of extreme pain, could not even describe it. now i sleep through the night and have never felt better. weight coming down along with the BP.

7. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I also had the throat and nose surgery about two years ago. I couldn't do the mask so that was my only option. Greatest thing I ever did was to pick the surgery. I sleep great and don't snore much anymore. I feel great and have no problems. The pain from the surgery only lastest about a week for me. It only hurt when you ate or drank something. I highly recommend the surgery. The hardest part was learning how to drink something with out it coming out thru my nose. I don't even think about it any more and I can still chug beers with the best of them!

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

My Apnea is non correctable by surgery or I would have had it done years ago. Warren here is a picture of the type I use. There are some variations between the ones for men and women in strap position I believe but this should give you some Idea. As said above there are 2 soft nose hole openings (available in different sizes)that are held in place by the strap and band.

[​IMG]

--- Chip King ---

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My Apnea is also none correctable.

My cousin died on the operating table during his procedure.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I could never adjust to the machine so I'm just living it one day at a time. I never notice it when lying in bed but if I fall asleep in my recliner I will choke on saliva when I start back to breathing. I know I'm going to die from something and since I couldn't stand the machine and was never offered surgery I just get along as I am. Jackie B.

11. RTD

RTD Member

I recommend MIRAGE SWIFT II pillow system made by ResMed, great support and pretty comfortable, no need for mask.

12. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I use Resmed nasel pillows as described above. CPAP has improved my life!! Jack

13. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

For those of you that can't tolerate the mask or nasal pillow please don't do the surgical procedure. It is super nasty, food comes out your nose or you can aspirate food or liquids all to easily.

Go to a dentist who specializes in sleep disorders and have a appliance made. It's like a night guard, goes on the upper and lower teeth and positions the jaw forward so your airway is opened. Not as effective as a CPAP but way better alternative than surgery that often doesn't work.

Your dentist should require a sleep study so he can generate the proper appliance.

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

How many run without a humidifier?

I started that in the summer , much cleaner, I may have to use water again in the heating season or when the humidity drops.

Using the pillows now but also have a nasal mask. I dont like it as much since air pressure outside the nose seems to collapse the airways whereas the pillows inflate it

I am at 7 cm H2O pressure. No more heart palpitations at 3 am ! Oh an dNO snoring either.

I looked into the dental device also not cheap, like $1k.

Wonder how long the CPAP will last

regards

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Bruce Em: I'm having trouble with my Nasal Pillows. After about an hour or 2 pain starts in my nose where the pillows are. I'm using medium now. Large too big. Also as I relax and fall asleep my mouth opens and I wake up. The pain is the problem. Going tomorrow for a small mask fitting to see if that helps.
    Dave T.

16. gousgouni

gousgouni TS Member

I have been using nose pillows for over 10 years. They work great. Just make sure you wash them at least every other day because the facial oils make the pillows slippery and slide off position. Other than that enjoy your sleep and your life.

17. viperrt

viperrt Member

I was a pillow user for years. Used to get "sore" nostrils which made using the CPAP a real pain, literally. Went to a gel mask 2 years ago and love it. I don't use a humidifier, which makes life much simpler.

18. schneep

schneep Member

I use a BiPaP, oxygen concentrator, a gel mask, with humidifier, sleep all night been using for 20 years. It was comfortable from the first day, only problem is when you get a cold or stuffed up. But even that is almost never.

Used to wake up 30/40 times a night.

19. warren

warren Member

Thanks guys big help

warren

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use the same mask as Chip King above and have been using it for two years.

As far as how long machines last, my first one is six-plus years old and still works but I got a new one a few months ago. The new ones are much smaller and quieter and the water reservoir attaches to the side of the unit so it looks like one piece.

I did find that the new unit's reservoir holds so little water that I was refilling it every two days (of course, you're supposed to empty and rinse it out daily) so I'm using the old reservoir with the new machine.

Speaking of water, you are supposed to use distilled water but I've found bottled water works as well. It doesn't leave any more deposits on the reservoir than distilled water and my CPAP supplier told me it is what he uses, too.

I wrote an article about CPAP and Sleep Apnea for Shotgun Sports Magazine back when I was diagnosed. If anyone wants a copy emailed to them, let me know. Trust me, more if you have it that realize it. The three main qualifiers are male, over 40 and overweight. If you meet one qualifier, you MAY have Sleep Apnea. If you meet two, you PROBABLY do. If you meet all three, you DO have it.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.