1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for "Whiz"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Question for Whiz

Had a major accident with the PW 2000 P today ( a stupid error) no danger but had shot and powder everywhere so i took it all apart. ( got it back together working flawlessly to my surprise) It also gave me a chance to really clean and lube and get to know the loader better. When I took the powder shot bottle loose from the mounting plate, I noticed a severe buildup of flakes of powder in the shute. It was actually hardened and stuck to the drop tube that goes to the bushing. I used a 10 ga brush wrapped with steel wool on a drill and cleaned it up. My question - why would powder do this. I read one time where EC3 would do it but I only used it for an hour or so and never used it again. I load a lot of Longshot and thats what it appeared to be? I posted this instead of a private message so that everyone would benefit from your response.

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Question for

No problem posting for all.

I've heard of this happening and even had one here recently in the shop that I had to run a high speed brush through to clean it up/out. My thought then was about the kind of powder (I didn't know) and humidity, heat & cold condensation.

I have to guess that humidity has something to do with it.

The drop tube in the toolhead is aluminum, the tube that enters the shell is steel (well, Leadlloy) and the bushing, of course, is aluminum. I only see this with the aluminum and it could be some sort of galvanic action of sorts between the powder ingredients and the aluminum.

It sure would hurt from time-to-time to remove the reservoir top and look down through the bushings into the drop tubes. This would also give piece of mind when someone is have a differential in powder drops.

When you speak of "shuttle", I assume you mean the aluminum base of the shot & powder reservoir... or are you using the black plastic base that comes with the EZ-Fill. I'd doubt the black plastic would permit any residue buildup.

Whiz

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Question for

I have had Longshot build up on the sides of the powder tube (plastic)and it's nearly impossible to get off. Not sure what it is but happens only with Longshot with me. BRGII

4. cubancigar2000

Question for

I am using the black base and it has a metal insert but it built up on not only the insert but also the cone which appears to be plastic. I think BRGII is correct, it must be the Longshot. I live in about a dry a climate as you could find, practically no humidity. I will just have to keep an eye on it because I was getting inconsistent drops on powder. Thx Whiz, you always are willing to help

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Question for

Think about picking up a used aluminum base, with the short risers and I will machine it to fit the EZ-Fill.

[​IMG]

How'd you come out on the "scam" or non-delivery, if I am correct?

Whiz

6. cubancigar2000

Question for

I would like one, where can I find one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.