1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Vietnam Vets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

My 18 year old son and I were watching Platoon last night and he was asking me alot of historical questions about the war. I'm 47 and was obviously too young to have served but my question for you 'Nam vets is "Do you finally feel like you have been "welcomed home""? I know many returning vets were met with anything buts thanks but alot of times has past and it seems like the country now appeciates it Vets more now even if they disagree with the war in the middle east.

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Truthfully...... it never mattered to me that I was not "welcomed home". That's because I was so damn glad to be home alive. I have not become bitter over the years like some. However, I go out of my way to say welcome home to other Viet Nam Vets and also say "thank you for your service" to other Vets both the young kids today and even the older guys from WWII and Korea.

blade819

3. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

Simple answer -- NO, and now when someone says a thanks to me for my service in Vietnam, I really don't know how to react. I usually just say 'thank you' and leave it at that. It's been so long, and the 'thank you for serving' so late in coming, I guess I prefer just a handshake and a slap on the shoulder from guys who were there with me; the other comments seem like some afterthought too late in coming to be truly appreciated. It does, however, start the process of reinstating our status as real soldiers and patriots during an unpopular war, nevertheless a real shooting war with over 55,000 KIA and numerous wounded still recovering. I go out of my way to thank the remaining WWII vets, Korean war vets, and the newly returned middle east vets. They all deserve a simple thanks....

Thanks for being interested in my war: 1LT, CE, Special Demolitions Unit attached to I Corp with the 18th Engineers out of the 2nd Army, but assigned throughout the country -- there were three such units in country during 1967 to March 1969. We worked in six countries, primarily Vietnam....

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank's for asking but.....no, not really. When I got back to the world there were a few (very few) that said "thank you" and I assume others that prob'ly felt that way and didn't say anything but as for the general lack of thanks we were met with.....I got over it a long time ago. If now after all these years the country is having guilt pangs that's THEIR problem, not mine.

John C. Saubak

Viet Nam 1967-68

UH-1 (Huey) Crewcheif, 17th Assault Helicopter Co.

WIA 17May68

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

blade819 said it better than I ever could. I never expected to be welcomed home and I have friends that will never get to hear it. I also go out of my way to welcome home any Vet but will add a "BROTHER" to the end for a Viet Vet.

--- Chip King ---

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. However, I am very glad that society has changed its views and that today's service members are the beneficiaries of well deserved gratitude.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We got harrassed when we came back, but I was glad to be back home so just blew it off

But I am glad the new troops are getting heroes welcomes, it is deserved and it has also helped make the VA much better for us old farts that could use it, at least it seems that way, the VA here in Dallas and Bonham have gotten much better

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I agree with blade819, he said it really well...

I know I'm one of the few that was in OIF (OIF2, for me) and Nam and can tell you there is world of difference coming home now. The all time best was the folks in Bangor Maine, at 0230 they were at the airport to greet us, and it was just a refueling stop for us, on are way to WI... The VFW, American Leigon, and a flag company were there, the greatest folks on earth.. Really made you feel humble.. Grubby... Viet-Nam '69-70 (4th Inf Div), and OIF2 '04-05 (1st Inf Div)

9. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Hell no, and it took years before I decided that our country was not about the people that lived in it, but rather the foudation it was built on. Some deep seeded hate.

Welcome home brothers. I know that welcome has less meaning than if we were actually appreciated in '68 when we got back to world. Even the local VFW didn't want 'Nam vets as members in 1968, asked not to apply. Today I am a member with most of the local volunteers and leadership Vietnam vets. I'm I still pissed, Oh ya... Always will be.

Steven C. Maltzahn

10. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for all the replies and I know it's too late but Thank You for Your Service! I noticed watching Platoon last night (which I beleive was supposed to have occured in 1967 0r 1968) that the M-16's in the movie has forward assist. Was that a mistake? I didn't think forward assist came until much later.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I remember the day my Reserve Unit landed. There were 120 of us that went and 92 came back. Thats all I could think about so I paid little attention to the people who were there to Boo us as we walked off the plane. god Bless them all. Semper Fi

12. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

The Colt Model 603 / XM16E1 was the first attempt at providing an improved M-16 for the US Army. The Colt
    Model 603 / US Army XM16E1 production ran from early 1964, and transitioned into the Colt Model 603 / US
    Army M16A1 in early 1967. It was the first model to incorporate the forward assist feature. This model was
    also one of the first to use the "Partial Fence" reinforced lower receiver. This was a "transitional" model and
    as such early and late models could have been found with varying component makeups.

13. ctreay

ctreay Member

Although I was a Nam era vet I was in Guantanomo till I got out (62). I heard all the negative crap at that time also. I now live very close to Fort Drum today and when I have on a vet type shirt or hat once in a while I get a thank you from some of the military guys but 9 out of 10 times it is from the older guys.

ctreay

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FIB,

My company was issued the M16A1 with the forward bolt assist in 1967.

If you're looking for a really realistic movie about Viet Nam see "Hamburger Hill".

John C. Saubak

15. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for all the comments about movies and the forward assist. I thought I caught a goof up in the movie, guess I was wrong.

16. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

The new ones didn't open the C-rations. It was a bitch.

Platoon Sgt
    Big Red One
    67-68

17. chipking

chipking TS Member

Bill that is why they gave us the P-38s. Still have the first one I ever used and it will still open a can pretty well.

Know what you mean though. Back when they took my M14 away and gave me one of the Matty Mattel wonders I figured the only "improvement" was the sardine can key on the front.

--- Chip King ---

18. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

he answer for me NO but like others i really never cared one way or the other ! I just went along doing my thing and LOVING MY Country and if anyone didnt like what I had or have to say about WAR thats OK too !

19. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Never welcomed home, but never really treated badly, either.

Then I started college. Got a lot of strange looks and heard some of muttering when students learned I'd been in the service, but I stuck it out and it seemed to change, at least no one overtly treated me differently than other students after a couple of months.

Like the others said, I was happy to get back, wasn't really concerned with what others thought.

Bob

20. cfchief

cfchief Member

Chip and Blade summed it up real well we were all just glade to make it home and to all my brothers on this site WELCOME HOME Chief out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.