1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the masses.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Libra1310, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I belong to a small gun club ( 250 members or so ) and recently the board of directors decided to make changes to club without a member vote. We are a member run/owned club so our overhead is extremely low. They recently raised the price of targets from $2.50 to $3.00 a round. Not bank breaking I know but now they want to raise it again. The trap shooters are the only ones who pay for practice and shooting. We have bylaws protecting the membership from an " Over ambitious " board. The question is, am I complaining for naught or do I have a gripe not having a say in what goes on in the club?

Chris

2. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

If there are rules they should be followed. At our club the owners make all the decisions and regular members do not have a say. Our club is also small with low overhead however, with price increase on targets we were forced to raise the price from $3.00/25 to $3.50/25 so the increase at your club seems to be the norm and actually lower then average cost.

3. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

Understandably so, however if they don't have a reason for the raise they shouldn't. We are a private club no public. We do ALL maintenance through the club not shop it out( if possible ) so they can't use that excuse. The bylaws state that the board is in place for daddy to day business electric, phone, gas, garbage etc;

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What pays for the overhead? Utilities, insurance, taxes, repairs, maintainence? If the price of targets is only paying for targets, targets cost about $.10 each. Include breakage and extra targets thrown, you are getting a bargain. We are a volunteer club, where dues pay for most things, and we charge $4.00 a round. Mark

5. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

We pay annual dues to pay the day to day operations. Like I said, other then the major fixes that need fixing, we have enough members to fix and take care of the property. I don't have a major problem with an increase, just an acceptable answer as to what it's for.like I said, the pistol shooters don't have to pay when they turn the lights and fans on, same with the rifle range.

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

dustthemclays:

If you have a complaint, I suspect it is a function of the board failing to explain the need for making the change. If they had done so in advance of or concurrent with the price increase, I doubt this thread would have been created.

sissy

7. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

You would be correct. I know the phrase Transparancy is being thrown around a lot lately but, I feel as a member/owner I have a right to vote on such issues. I guess the point of my question was to see if other clubs have to deal with the same BS as we are. I also love the hypocrisy of them complaining that the gov't is bypassing the constitution but they do the same thing with our bylaws.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't think you do have a say on the rate increase. If you generally dissapprove of what the BOD does then perhaps you can vote them out in an election cycle.

But before you get too bent out of shape, look into why the fee increase was necessary. I'll bet the BOD make a sound decision as in they had to do it to keep the club solvent. Even $3/round is a rock bottom price these days, enjoy that while you can.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

You might want to check the By-laws to see what they say about money matters. Both of the clubs that I belong to have power of making money decisions.

If they didn't every time the cost of targets goes up it would need to come before a meeting before the targets could be purchased. Which is fine as long as you have plenty of targets on hand. If they are in short supply the club may not be shooting until it goes through a meeting and expenditure is approved.

Bob Lawless

10. Donm

Donm Active Member

You elect a BOD to do the every day running of the club. That should include the price of targets, which by the way have been going up and up the last year or so. A $.50 raise in price just covers the increase in targets. I would say if you can't get a answer from the BOD then nest year vote some one else in. But you elected them and they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Watching out for the best interest of the whole club.

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

If this is a true statement, "The trap shooters are the only ones who pay for practice and shooting." then it may be time for an assesment to the pistol and rifle shooters and any other member activities enjoyed at the club. If, on the other hand the price you pay for a round of trap covers only the expenses for that round then all is well. JRM

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

You are pretty much in the same boat many people find themselves in these days.

One club I belong to, has 1000 members, with only 30-35 trapshooters. The only revenue producing discipline is trap, but all the money for improvements gets spent on the rifle and pistol side. They won't even have the care taker mow the weeds on the trap side.

When you figure out the solution, please let me know.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"When you figure out the solution, please let me know."

Rick I told you once how to fix it and you didn't want hear it. So this time wouldn't be any different.

Bob Lawless

14. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I do agree with most of the posts above. The BOD with our club has consistently changed the way our club operates to suit their needs. I have no problem with a price increase as targets have gone up. Our old price gave us a $.12 profit per round. That should have covered the price increase. $.50 increase I also don't have a problem with but as a member I would like to know what the increase covers. As per our bylaws, the BOD is there to pay the bills and handle any emergency that comes up. They also say any expenditure over a certain amount requires a member vote which has not happened as long as I've been a member. Unfortunately there is a " Good ole boys club " within a club and voting them out does not seem possible and they have their own agenda. I guess I will ride out the year and not renew my membership.

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

$3.00 for 25 targets. I wouldn't say a word. However, as a club member I would think you have a say in how the club operates.

16. Dave K

Dave K Member

I am also a member of a small club, but that means really nothing does it? Anyhow I am a well rounded shooter. I pay for what I use. If I shoot and break clay, I pay for it. Why should the pistol shooter pay for your clay? As an archery shooter, I buy my own targets, but I did on my own, buy the current target bales there to encourage more members to join, therefore more dues paying members and voters. We had this discussion in our club in the past and I am a trap shooter, but why do you think non-clay shooters should pay for your targets? They already paid for your trap and it's maintenance. We also have a group of guys who play poker there on Mon. eves. It is fine with me. We don't ask them to pay for the lights/heat or A.C. I would rather have the club friendly and functioning than create sides and make it them against the others. Wouldn't you? Please don't take this as a wise arse remark, but what have you done for the club to make it a friendly place to want to be. In my own club, I helped build the trap(word is help). On the rifle/pistol range, I had some help me. On the archery range, I built it. Am I looking for a pat on the back? NO, I am looking for a place to have like minded "friends" have share good times. Oh, we built a new club house 7yrs. ago. I was one of 2 others that wired it for free. Again, to give like minded people a reason to have a great place to go.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So fight it democratically. Get some others to back you, make a motion from the floor to roll the prices back, and get it seconded.

Assuming your bylaws have not locked out motions from the floor.

18. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

Or step up and get on the board of directors??

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Ask a board member why they are raising the price? At $3 a round they are not making a killing now, so I'm sure they have a reason. Maybe they need money for a new trap. There is a lot more overhead than it seems. Lights, heat/ac, insurance, cost of trap, trap repair, voice releases, pull cords, caretaker, club picnic, Christmas party, etc.... The main job of our caretaker is collecting money for targets. We don't need a caretaker for rifle, pistol, archery shooters as they provide their own targets and they need no electric for their sport.

Maybe it is time for you to get on the board. Getting on a gun club board is the easiest thing in the world to do. The hard part is getting off. I've been on a board of 3 clubs, it took me 20 years to get off one. LOL

It might be you have too many non trap/skeet/sporting clays shooters on the board. I've been on a board where the pistol, rifle shooters always voted to raise prices on the clay target shooters because it didn't affect them.

Again just ask a board member, how come?

20. targetshooter

targetshooter Member

Dear questions for the masses does your club have general meetings where this is discussed before it goes to the board?if so is there any kind of attendance? the small club i belong to i am on the board we try to always bring things up at general meetings and let the general membership know were stand on money,target count,correspondance from other clubs ,ata ,cgsta and so on ultimentlly it comes down to the BOD to make day to day and buisness decisions that is just our club i cannot speak for others if you would like to see a change may i suggest running for a BOD position.Mike .M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.