1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the choke tube crowd

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I unscrewed my choke out of the barrel and found some damage to the threads of the choke. Here's my question; Is the choke made of a softer metal than the barrel? I'd like to know if the threading within the barrel is harder and therefor probably not damaged. This is on an SKB 85. Thanks, Jim

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What kind of damage? Are you talking about the 3 or 4 threads at the chamber end of the choke that appear to be flattened? That's normal; the manufacturers do that before the choke leaves the factory. Keeps the carbon from gas leakage from building up in those threads and locking the tube in the barrel.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>Some manufacturers will shave these threads off completely so there's no trace left. Most don't go that far.

MK

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Nice pic, MK. I've honestly never noticed that on my chokes. Going to have to check when I get home.

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Ya, you're right. Great pic you got there. Upon further inspection I guess I have nothing to concern me. Darn choke unscrewed so hard out of the barrel I guess I was 'expecting' to find something looking wrong. Thanks, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.