1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for the auto mechanics

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I just had my battery in my Honda SUV go dead. No warnings, nothing. It just went dead. Battery is original and 5 years old. I've been driving a lot of years but never had a battery go dead without some type of warning. I hooked it up to my charger and it will not take a charge. I realize I need a new battery; but I've never had one go dead all of a sudden?? (It is a sealed unit). Any thoughts? Thanks. Ed

2. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

Now-a-days with gear reduction starters, they don't give much notice like they used to, because the amp draw is less.

With the big honkin starters of yesteryear, you could tell by the sound that it was cranking slow, and it was time for a battery.

5 years seems about right for a battery

JMHO

Bill

3. esoxhunter

Thanks guys. Guess I go to Sears and buy me a new one! Ed

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I HATE CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS.

5. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Try advance Auto Parts. They guarantee even their cheapest batteries, and if they fail, thay actually give you a new one. I've got one of their cheapos that's still going strong after 10 years. I've also gotten three new batteries under their guarantee.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

It is not at all unusual to park the car and it be fine, and get back in it an hour later and have a dead battery. As was said, five years is very good for a battery.

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

THE LEAD PLATES ARE SO SO THIN NOWADAYS TO SAVE ON WEIGHT. AS THEY GET USED UP
    THEY BECOME BRITTLE. ONE GOOD POTHOLE OR MAYBE JUST SLAM THE TRUNK LID AND ONE MAY FALL APART AND SHORT THE CELL....THEN YOU ARE DONE!

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yup! Happened to me 3 weeks ago, one morning my van wasd totally dead.

Called AAA they sent out a battery van ...stricty set up for dead batteries...he checked mine out ... only 1/2 volt. Then he started laughing...seems that battery was in there for 10 years!
    Had him install his biggest and best...$112.50.

9. zondsix

zondsix TS Member

Engineered for a specific period - once you get there it's anybody's guess after that.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Five years is about all should expect as for goig dead with no notice, there could be a few causes. Dead short internally, a dead cell the electrolyte may have broken down. Have the cahrgins and starting system checked when you put the battery in.

11. esoxhunter

Well gang; I got the new battery in and it works like a charm. I also found out what drained the "old one". The back window of the tailgate was not latched and thus the interior light in the back stayed on. Oh well, as the battery was 5 years old; it probably was time for a replacement. I just can't figure out why it wouldn't take a charge. Anyway I noted another thing. I have been living with the "Check Engine" light for at least 6 months. I had it checked out when I first noticed it and the mechanic said it was an emission system sensor. He said they are $100 apiece and there are 2 of them so it might be $200. I said as long as the oil pressure and the temperature are ok; I'd think about it. Guess what? Yup, after changing the battery the "Check Engine" light is off! Don't know how long this will last; but it seems to me that this modern era of computers are costing people a lot of unneeded expense. My Buick has had the "Check tire pressure" light on for 9 months. This is even after I installed 4 brand new tires!! Thanks again for the help. Ed

12. oz

oz Active Member

sometimes a completly dead battery will not take a charge. sometimes you can wake it up by charging a not so dead battery in parallel with the dead battery. after an hour or so take the not so dead battery off the charger and the dead battery may take a charge. I have done this many times and it works most of the time. oz

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

well how far out in the back country were you?

My luck with a battery that quits all at once is when, this is before cell phones, when I was several hours walk, either help or a phone, parked were there was no hope of doing a push start, and purpusly where there is a little chance as possible of someone just happening by, turn the engine off, and then find a dead battery.

No with the cell phone and AAA service, I have not had a chance to see if they can find me.

Al

14. esoxhunter

I was lucky enough to have it happen in my driveway. I thought I accomplished something, when my "Check Engine" light finally went off. But that only lasted for a few miles and now it's back on. Oh well, I can always place some electricians tape over it. (Makes it less noticeable) :) Ed

15. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

The code(s) were cleared out of the computer when the battery died, and then came back when it did its self test routine.

Auto Zone (aka Twilight Zone for some of the people they have working there) will read the codes for free. Write the numbers down, then do some checking on the internet. Some codes are specific (bank 1, sensor 2 for example), and some are very general.

My friend's car was throwing 3 codes, shop wanted $600 to fix it. After finding out where the parts involved were located on the car, it turned out to be a disconnected vacuum line. Made me look like a champ!

With gas being what it is, you don't want it running rich, as a bad oxygen sensor could do.

Bill

16. esoxhunter

When I had it checked out; the mechanic told me it was an oxygen sensor. He said the sensor was approximately $100 and there were 2 of them If they both were affected of course it would be $200. He said the only possibility would be that the engine could be running inefficiently. I suppose I'm going to have to break down and have it fixed. What upsets me is that I had a problem like this a number of years ago on a new 1996 Chev pickup. It took 6 trips to the dealer to finally get the problem rectified. It would be ok for awhile and then the light would come on again. It is a pain when it is under warranty, (as this was),; but when you have to pay the bill, it isn't so funny. Ed

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

esoxhunter

Be careful about replacing oxygen sensors. The codes related to them can be confusing. The fact that an O2 sensor is reading incorrectly does not mean that the sensor is bad, It could be that there is comething else in the fuel/emmissions system that is causing the readings to be off. The sensor usually reports what it sees. If the sensors are bad, there is usually a couple of tests that can be done to check their response before spending the money on replacements. Anything that can cause a lean or rich indication is suspect in many cases. It could be a bit of debris in a mass air flow sensor to a bad spark plug, to a clogged fuel filter or even low or high fuel pressure. You can't just get a code and start replacing parts. You need to know what caused the code to be set. Replacing the O2 sendsors would be like shooting the messenger.

18. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Quack Shot, besides Tron you are the smartest guy on this thread. I work with drivability problems every day. My favorite jobs are the ones that the customer has been to Auto Zone for their "free diagnosis". They buy every part that the guy behind the counter says he needs and that still doesn't fix it. Then they bring it to me and get pissed when I need diagnostic time to figure it out!!! Go back to Auto Zone then or have your brother in law figure it out!

Steve

19. esoxhunter

Quack Shot: That makes a ton of sense to me. You shouldn't be replacing a part that may be doing its job. Finding the reason the sensor went into alarm is the key. I will take the vehicle to the local Honda dealer and have them diagnose the problem. Thanks a lot. Ed

20. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I had an odd battery problem recently. My wife called from the grocery with a dead battery. I went to check it out, and it would barely light the domelight, but not crank. Dome light went out when attempting to crank.

It would not jump either,so I had it towed home. This was a battery from a reputable, brand name auto supply house. It had both top posts, and side posts. Her car used the side posts.

At home, when I would check voltage across the top posts, it had good voltage, but only 9.5 volts at the side terminals. I removed the cables, jumped from the cables to the top posts, and it started fine.

I found that an internal connection was bad at one side post, but still had a good connection to the top posts.

A new one fixed it, and my NAPA jobber said he had others do this of various brand names.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.