1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Stool/chair shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Dave, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Joe, I experimented with several styles, and heights. I settled on one high enough that I don't have far to go when standing up or sitting down;
    26" seat high with a round seat. I found a light weight, tubular one at an office supply store. I tried a swivel one once for doubles, but it didn't want to stop when I did, so I quickly abandoned it. I found the seat on chair canes to be too low and not stable enough for me to feel comfortable shooting off of. As far as carrying it to the line, I squad with some of the most wonderful people in the world, and one of them will always offer to carry it, my gun or both to the line for me. I usually ask one to carry my gun, I'm not overly concerned with dinging up the stool if I should fall, but don't want to hurt the gun.

Big Dave

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Not really an expert on this but twice in my life I had to use one after a back surgery and another when I hurt it again and had weak legs . My choice was a cheap wooden bar stool , just high enough to slide on and off when my turn came to shoot . Always start from position 1 so you don`t walk too far . I wasn`t comfortable in shooting from the stool so had to stand when shooting . A chair may be too low for this purpose . I`m hurting again so there may be another need for this again or I may just sit out shooting for awhile . Good Luck !!!!

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also shot my last tourneys from an old barstool...exactly 24 inches..worked fine

4. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I got a folding bar stool from Walmart several years ago. Since then about a dozen or more of my buddies began using the same stool. It is light weight and easily carried from station to station. Sometimes I sit on it when shooting but most of the time it is used to rest my back between shots..

5. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Guys, I salute you, but oh, gee. I can hardly wait..... If you're gonna' get old, you gotta get tough, I guess.
    Never give up!!!! Keep on shooting.
    Mike

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I started using a stool last year....got a very high quality height adjustable swivel stool but found that it was too heavy to drag between stations, so I tried the plain jane 30" shop stool I used for reloading and it works fine. Don't really need the swivel and it's light enough to carry easily. I've just got to build a mount on it for my cane. It was either go to the stool or quit shooting...

Ron Burr

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

There are some sturdy wooden stools that are quite light. I cut a 2" x 4" hole in the seat of mine to make it easy to pick up. I have a cleaning rod built into mine for knocking out stuck hulls, etc. It would be easy to attach a cane.

Whatever you do, don't get something that is flimsy/tippy. One of our seasoned shooters, the gentleman who supplied all of the trophy heads seen at the San Antonio Gun Club, ended his shooting career when his stool fell over and he injured his shoulder. Ron

8. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I haven't had to do that yet but the stool could act a four-legged cane while walking to and from the firing line. (Wrong Ron?) Ron

I might add, I can place my over/under barrel through the hole in the seat for a gun rack if I need to put the gun down.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

my stool is a four-legged,..three legs ain't enough...mine only weighs a couple lbs and is made of sturdy oak...got it for $5 from a used furniture thrift store

10. dave weaver

dave weaver Member

I too shoot from a stool. I have told that three(3) legged stool works best. I use a hard wood four legged stool. I have thinking about getting a higher stool, because the heighth of the stool effects what the shooter sees as a back ground. What might be a good background for a standing shooter, might be not as good for a sitting one.

I encourge all that use a stool to comment.

dave

11. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I agree. Three legs are good for milk stools but it ain't too far to the ground. I have made several for other shooters. I get mine for $15 to $25 depending on whether they are on sale at the import store in Garden Ridge. The 29 inch ones are more popular than 25. Ron

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Keep in mind that everyone may need a different height for their stool . I`m 6`3 and I`m more comfortable with a 30in" stool . If your 5`8" you may need one 24 inches or less ?? I added some 3/4" foam padding and black leather stapled to the seat . I would also advise not to get a swivel seat which may cause a fall should you not sit down properly plus it adds weight . Mine is very light . Picked 4 up at a garage sale many years ago . 4 legged yes . I would be skeptical of whether a chair is needed also since getting up and down may be more difficult with each persons problems . Try using something at home first before going to the range . If your in that bad a shape , stay home or just watch . Once I shot doubles with a neck and back brace and using a release trigger , my legs went out from under me , sending me to the ground with the trigger set . Had to have help opening the gun and getting up . Luckily nothing bad came of it except making me realize not to do that again . Could have been a very bad day !!!!

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

When I needed a stool I used one of the folding metal stools from Walmart. My wife now uses it occasionally. It worked out great for us.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Joe...it's bit of a chore but I get the stool to post 1 where I like to start, then go back to the rack for my gun. Also I have to give a hearty thank you for my squad mates who also give me a hand at getting set up. Thier assistance is greatly appreciated. And I'm 6'3" too so the 30" works for me...I'm looking at one of the shooting carts to carry everything but I'd have to fabricate a mount to carry the stool on it....
    [​IMG]

15. In plain view

In plain view Member

Joe: I've been a stool shooter since summer of 2009 due to a broken leg, 2 neck surgery's and disc problems in the lower back. Thought my shooting days were over but 2 things changed that kept me going. Finding a stool that doesnt weigh a ton and purchasing a "Shooting Cart" from Rugged Gear. I went through a number of stools until I stumbled onto a 24 inch, all black metal fold-up type at Wal-Mart with a vinyl soft top seat. The stool is light and after each round I simply pick it up and move to the next post with my cart. From my car to the trap I carry it on my cart. I believe Wal-Mart has an abundance of these stools and the cost is about $12.00 to $14.00. Now here is the problem I encountered with this stool and how I solved the problem. The vinyl on the seat will not allow your butt to move when going for a hard right or left. I had a friend cut me out a circular 12 inch piece of plywood, very smooth on one side and I bolted it onto the chair. I sprayed the seat with several coats of flat black paint and I havent looked back yet. This stool is not perfect but it's awfully close. I also tried clear hard plastic for the seat but that didnt work either. Good luck. Bob in Los Angeles

16. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

This is the one we use. Very lightweight and folds for easy carry in the vehicle. The cost is about $14 in stores and every Walmart I have been i carries it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Global-24-Cushioned-Folding-Stool-with-Safety-Lock-in-Black/14701377?findingMethod=rr

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

$25.99

Can't get the link to work.

Go to Walmart and search for

Cushioned Folding Stool

18. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Joe, I don't know why the on line price is $25.99 but the stores have it for about $14 now. When I bought mine 5 or 6 years ago they were about $10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.