1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Stock Refinisher

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I have a high grade stock that needs refinishing. Problem is that the checkering on butt stock and forend no longer shows the wood grain. From use and maybe oil and dirt over the years.

Can the checkering area be brought back to show the wood grain as it originally did?

Thanks,

milt

2. high 2

high 2 Member

What typically happens is over time the oils and sweat from your hands fill and darken the wood in the checkering. I can't recall one that I've refinished that didn't come back as new. The main problem you will run into is the wood in the checkering with the oil and all will break down the wood fibers and will require a little more work getting back into good wood. Larry

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

"High 2" is Larry Garroutte (Gah-root) of Oklahoma. Business name: Cor-Kel Arms, corkelarms.com. Larry is too modest for his own good; he does magnificent work and has refinished/repaired 2-3 stocks for me to absolute perfection. He ain't no novice, either. Unlike some others, Larry does not brag by posting pics of his work. Frankly, I think he should, as it would set some back in their seats. I have begged him to do so. He is selling himself too short for the sake of being modest in character. He also builds magnificent stocks from blanks.....

100% Highly recommended.

Mike Durhan