1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Spolar hydraulic users....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 8 Straight, Sep 19, 2013.

1. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

Just installed the used hydraulic unit I bought used. I have used it very briefly, and wonder if any long time users of the unit have any tips for making the floor foot switch any more user friendly. It seems like an inclined switch would feel a little more comfortable. Thoughts or ideas?

2. tweintraub

tweintraub Member

I have two reloaders. I use both feet on the the floor pedal. I consistently produce 600 per hour with my loaders. I think they have produced the perfect reloader.

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I used gorilla duct tape to hold the pedal in place.

4. rwtii

rwtii Member

Rock your leg right and left and mark which side of the switch is up and which is down. It does tend to walk around unless you put it on something sticky like a rubber pad.

5. Sand9229

Sand9229 Member

I think the controls work better if you are barefoot.

You get a better "feel".

Donny Sanders

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

8 straight, I made an inclined foot rest out of wood, screwed a few drywall screws around the foot pedal, and it is very comfortable

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have the foot control on a thin rubber mat. It lays horizontal, just at the tip of my right toes. Using the heel of my right foot (which does not rest on the mat) as a pivoting point, I press on its right or left side to activate the hydraulics. Putting the foot control on an incline will cause you to have to lift your toes higher to activate it, which I find uncomfortable. Sitting on an adjustable height, swivelling chair also helps. My two cents.

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have asked Carter on a couple of occasions about a bigger and more comfortable foot pedal and the response was that they just could not find one.

I agree with one of the above posters, I find it works better in my stocking feet.

I have a draftsman chair in front of my bench and a shelf under the bench where my collection bucket and foot sit. I don't know that I would want it inclined for the reason mentioned above by Chichay.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I use Big Ben's method. Kept the foot pedal [PW type] attached to the wood small step it was attached to. Perfect height and does not move. Fred

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Replace the handle Allen screw with a bolt and jam nut. If the hydraulic actuating arm backs out and you don't notice , it will break the end cap a $75 mistake if they still make it. Experience talking. Jeff

11. crk

crk Member

I put the pedal so that I am using both feet and moving the pedal motion left and right instead of one foot going fore and aft. Secure it with some method like tape as mentioned. It works for me - you will need to make your own call on comfort.

12. dsdickson

dsdickson Member

8 Straight: If one has enough money for a spolar w/hydraulics.... I think they can afford to pay someone to reload for them... let them figure out the ergonomics :)

PS Keep all fleshy parts out of the way!

DSD

13. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

Derek, I think you should confine your correspodence to crayons and brown paper grocery bags. As usual, your thoughts are not worthy of a higher medium.:)

14. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I use the same method as described in the above thread by crk

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Are Spolar pedals a off and on switch for both directions or is it a two way valve where you can vary the speed in both directions?

16. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

The speed is pretty much constant. Step on one side of the pedal and the press goes up. Step on the other side and it goes down.

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Like mentioned above, it is a rocker pedal.

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Avaldes,

My P/W is a rocker pedal on a valve that lets a person vary the speed both ways.

I understood 8 straights answer to be a off/on switch for each direction, be it a rocker switch or not.

Which is it?

19. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

Here is my solution. Rubber square from Menards and cut as you can see. Bar stool is the proper height for me. Cut out for the bar stool legs keeps the positioning proper. Finally note the tie-wrap use to hold the cable and keep the switch in proper position.
    [​IMG]

20. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

LTS, you can adjust the speed of the cylinder, but not with the pedal. The loader moves fairly slowly. I think the quote 3-4 seconds for a cycle, which sounds about right. So something like 1.5 second to raise the press; then rock your foot and hit the other side for another 1.5 seconds to drop the press.

The nice part is that if you take your foot off, the press stops immediately. Then you can reverse it.