1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for snowbirds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 320090T, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

When you leave your winter home and go south or southwest for the winter, what do you leave your thermostat set at? I plan on shutting the water valve off, turning the water heater off, and bypassing and shutting off the softner. Anything else that should be done for the house?

2. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Shut off the gas too. Other-wise Yankee gas will inflate it with an estimated bill and take you to court to collect it.

Harry

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Check the fine print on your homeowner's policy. Our policy says to drain the water pipes. I leave the furnace running but drop the temperature way down to 60 or so. Our daughter frequently checks our house when we are away.

4. joesailor

joesailor TS Member

Sensors are available that will either use the telephone line or internet to tell you of power is off or temperature is too low or high. That is what I use,
    great peace of mind.

5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

We turn the furnace down to it lowest setting.
    We put the land line phone on vacation , drop the internet service.
    Get an air card to plug into the laptop in the interest of secuirity.
    We used Cricket while in Texas, as it cost less than AT&T or Verzion, as there is no long term contract.

Have the mail forwarded to where you will be.
    Arrange to pay bills by internet so you don't encounter late fees.

have some one to do a walk through of the house once a week.
    I unhook the battery on any vehicles left behind.

Notifie the local police that you will be gone and who to call in the event of a house emergency, breakin ect.

ed

6. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have a freeze monitor on the phone line. If it goes below 40 the phone will call. I set the thermostat at 55 which is what is recomended. And I have a person to watch and that I can call.

7. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Get one of the Thermometers that you stick on the outside of a window to see the temp outside.. but stick it on the inside, then ask a neighbor to take a look at it if they are out. They will see the temp inside the house.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We turn the air off and open all the doors and windows ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

It's getting cold here in IA so getting the house ready to leave. We shut the well off and blow all water lines out with air compressor. Use RV anti-freeze in all traps and toilet tank. Leaving furnace at lowest setting to hopefully prevent cans freezing and bursting and so the mice have a warm place to stay.

Lost the furnace one year and only damage were cans in the pantry. When you live on a gravel road and the drifts are too high to get through the house ain't gonna get checked!

HarryC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.