1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Smith & Wesson experts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bluedevil, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Picked up an almost unused Model 32 in .38S&W w/2" barrel, have some questions. I will probably order dies and brass tomorrow. They say the barrel is .360 but my .357 bullets will just barely start in the bore. I have read I can just shoot .357 cast. Any ideas or suggestions? It is small and fits perfectly in my pocket, and is tight.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Bluedevil, you can buy the loaded ammo for it, they are all lead bullets. I load mine with the 357 bullets, just for a few. They are accurate close up.

3. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Yes I saw it in Midway USA catalog. Thought I would have some fun reloading for it. It is a really cool little handgun. Going to use Unique I think and I have a bunch of cast .357 125 gr bullets on hand. Take care.

4. gold40

gold40 Member

The .38 S&W (not .38 Special) uses .360" to.362" lead bullets.

You can order .361" bullets from some lead bulet casters.

However, soft cast lead bullets sized to .357" work O.K. With a 2" barrel and those small grips, you probably won't notice much accuracy difference. It can be a decent self-defense load.

JERRY

5. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

That's what I thought Jerry, I am going to put one of those Tyler Grips on it and just have some fun with it. You hardly know you have it on you and like I said it is like new. Think I will just stick with my normal .357 cast. All good.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For best accuracy, the bullets should be a reasonably snug fit to the mouth of the cylinder chamber. The bullet (lead) will swage down going through the forcing cone.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I had a 4" Combat Masterpiece (Model 15) in 38 S&W, not Special.

I loaded regular 38 bullets in it, had no problems.

IIRC, 3 gr Unique with a 158 gr RNL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.