1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for shot makers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catpower, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

With the lead prices sky high, I had to get new batteries for my wife's truck and they only give $9 core for them the batteries weigh about 40-50 lbs, so there has to be 30-40 lbs of lead in them

Can you use that lead to make the alloy for shot?

Just wondering

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think I would stay away from scrap batteries. Let the pro's recycle them. To many bad things in them.

3. Covercollector

Covercollector Member

Battery plates are coated with lead oxide,not something to try to make shot with.Randy

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Okay I was just wondering when I was a kid I melted down a few old batteries one time when I was bored, all the oxide came to the top it seemed and I skimmed it off, the lead was nice and shiny

Over the years my "buddies" have brought a bunch of old batteries out to the farm, just figured they might be good for shot or bullet casting, guess i will sell them for $9 each

5. Covercollector

Covercollector Member

Cat,That is your safest bet,take the money.Hard to say what type of lead was used for the plates as there are different types for different batteries.Randy

6. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

The lead ( Pb ) and Lead Oxide ( Pbo2 ) aren't much of a problem. It is the Lead Sulfate ( PbSO4 ) that -might- be a problem along with the Sulfuric Acid ( H2SO4 ) electrolyte disposal. The Sulfuric Acid can be changed to a form that is useful by taking some Iron or Steel turnings/filings ( degreased of course ) and pouring the Acid over the Iron to make what the fertilizer sellers call Ferric and Ferrous Sulphate which is both good for plants and also, well has other uses. The Process of melting Lead ALWAYS produces some Lead Oxide. The hotter the pot the more Oxides are formed. That is why the caster always "fluxes" the melt with an organic like Bees Wax. The Wax, as IT oxidizes, produces Carbon which combines with the Oxygen in the Lead Oxide and reduces it back to basic Lead with Carbon Dioxide ( CO2 ) off in the air. No real reason not to use battery plates other than that the greenies and EPA will bite you. The chemistry isn't that tough. Just do your melt with an excess of either Flour ( dry ingredient Carbon source ) or Bees wax or other water free organic flux and keep the temp down and the ventilation air blowing from behind you toward the melt to keep any toxic/tissue damaging fumes going away from you. Flux it good, skim the float, pour the shot or cast the bullet. It will be soft, near pure Lead.

Don T, Littleton CO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.