1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for shooters with RA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I posted this question in this discussion group because I wanted to get as many
    answers as I could. I was diagnosed with RA about one year ago and on meds that control most of the problems. However, my biggest concern is I have the most pain in the fleshy part of both wrists. Not all the time but that is where it shows up the most. I love to trap shoot and my question is this. Will the vibration of shooting say 100 rounds make it worse ie increase the inflammation or if I take a pain killer afterwards will it just stay the same. Before I was diagnosed I was told it was karpel tunnel and give it a rest. Trap shooting and shotgunning is a sport I do not want to give up so I am looking for possible opinions from shooters that have had similar problems. I am sorry if some of you get upset about this post just be glad you do NOT have the problem.

2. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Knew a shooter who kept at it by always using wrist braces. Maybe that's an option?

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and had surgery on my right side (along with completely re-constructing the heads of the ulna and radius, but that is another story). I have had pain on the right side since my surgery, both from the re-construction and I assume as a long term side affect.

The one thing that I was able to do to greatly reduce the pain while shooting is to change my form slightly. I keep my elbows lower now than I used to. This keeps the wrist at a more neutral angle and it really helps with the pain. I also have CT in my left wrist and the slightly lower elbows help on that side too.

It was a conscious change, but it was very much worth it. I noticed that Olympic shooters have a similar form so there must be something to it. Hope that helps.

4. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I've got it--on methotrexate and Enbrel. Thought I was going to have to quit shooting for awhile. I've found the grip has become the most important part of the gun. My trigger finger kind of numbs up, so I have to have a grip that lets me get up on the trigger (small hands)so when I start losing some of the feeling, I don't slide off the side of the trigger without realizing it.

The second issue for me is a grip that comforms to my hand. If there is anything that creates a pressure point, it will get to me. I was shooting an 1100 Synthetic Competition, which is as soft shooting as you can get, but still having hand issues. I finally realized is was the edge of the base of the comb nose, which is molded into the stock body. (I had already cut the comb nose back to get it out of the base of my thumb.)That cured the problem.

I had to build the grip up with Rat Grip so I could get my hand in the proper position. I don't have to "reach" to get to anything. My hand goes on the gun in a relaxed, comfortable position with the finger up on the trigger.

I've gone to lighter loads to cut down on recoil as much as possible.

I've been shooting a new 725 Browning and fell in love with it because of the grip. I had sworn off over-unders, but I'm doing fine with the 725. I do have my limits on shoulder recoil as the RA is in my spine, but so far, with the light loads and an Auto Buster recoil reducer installed, the 725 has been delighful to shoot in reasonable doses.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.