1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question For Shooters Who Fly With Firearms?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am looking to shoot in a few places where I will need to fly into....Silver Dollar, San Antonio, etc. For those of you who fly either to shooting or hunting destinations, I have a question for you......do you insure your guns thru some of the available gun insurance companies? Or, do you just use you homeowner's policy? Want to be safe rather than sorry.

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I have insured the guns I travel with through the Insurance company listed on the ATA website. Sportsmens Insurance Agency.

Their rates seem fair.Thankfully I haven't had a claim, so I cannot tell how they are to deal with on that end.

Hope this helps,
    Russ.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I fly with handguns only and I figure the luggage coverage covers that amount. Although I do take pics of the guns in the case and inside the suitcases----while at the ticket counter so I can at least prove they were in the airport.

Southwest Airlines seems to be very gun friendly.

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Neither.... I use the excess baggage insurance through the airlines. You can buy up to $5k of excess insurance. It won't cover the loss but it puts the airline on notice that they will have to pay big money if it grows legs. Also in most cases it will require you to claim it from the baggage office as it won't come down the belt.

Tom

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

ship the gun to yourself at the gun club. It is within the law and perfectly legal. Much easier then going to the airport and showing themt he gun and trying to pack it up again. safe and easy and if you have good insurance then it is covered. motordoc

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I am with Russ in PA when it comes to travel with expensive target shotguns. I have specific insurance from Sportsmens for my trap guns. My rifles don't cost anywhere near that amount of money and just for the plane ride, I think the excess baggage insurance is fine.

7. WBD

WBD Member

I have all of my guns scheduled. Makes no sense to double pay for insurance when one carrier will subrogate against the other (no double recovery). Also, with a schedule, typically one would not have a deductible. W

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I like the idea of shipping to yourself at destination gun club.

Who do you ship with? Can you estimate cost per hundred miles or other?

9. cafowler

cafowler Member

Woodson,

I think you have to consider what the insurable event is worth to you.

Are you traveling with a couple Crown Grade Kriegoff's, or a Beretta SO6EELL? Some damage or theft would be considerable with a loss event in that case.

If you are an NRA member you automatically have theft coverage up to a set amount for the gun model. I believe you can buy higher coverage from them also.

The SAI insurance marketed thru NSCA/NSSA/ATA looks good, but it adds up year after year. I've spoken with the saleman at his table in San Antonio and the rates shocked me. The same for your homeowners policy. I sent a list with gun values to a large national insurer, and the rates were outrageous. Any improvements, chokes, etc, stock-work to your target guns can add up and should be listed on any policy.

I think most look at the cost of the insurance and decide the best option is to self-insure, and buy a good travel case = Pelican or Rhino, or others recommended here.

If it helps you sleep, I'm told the SA airport did significant security upgrades to monitor the gun cases in baggage handling from the time TSA takes them till they are on the plane about 2 years ago.

I've traveled with my clays guns for 20 years now on airlines, sometimes as often as monthly and only had one problem. It was with the TSA locks that have a diamond on them. Don't ever use them, it is a marketing ploy and they are most definately not endorsed by TSA, just someone's good marketing ploy.

TSA website will tell you that you are responsible for making sure your gun case is locked. Some airports the TSA check is behind a secure perimeter, and they will ask for your keys to do the check if a machine goes off. You are within your rights to ask the ticket agent to bring the case back up front for you to confirm it's locked up correctly. Some airports like Houston/Reagan/Seattle/SFO do this check right in front of you. The only thing that is the same is that every airport believes the TSA rules are different.

Enjoy your shoots and don't let the small stuff bother your mental game.

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i insure my guns with my homeowners policy. Expensive---yes. 3 dollars a hundred value. No deductible. so a 10k gun is 300 dollars a year. It is too high and I believe the people that sell the other insurance is less money, I use fed-ex. Put the gun in original americase and packed with a little foam and put that case into a cardboard box. Ship from ohio to oregon cost me 27 dollars. 2 dollars more then the airlines extra baggage. I shipped it to a pak and ship place in the hometown of the person I am going to see so it had to be signed for. I did put 500 dollars insurance on it just as an idea so it has to be signed for by an adult. The pak and ship place will call my friend and he will pick it up. Then on the return i ship it to myself. Perfectly legal as no change of ownership is happening. Gets form ohio to oregon in 4 days. You can track it on the net at fed ex site. Open a fed ex account and you get about 10 percent discount. I drop it off at an office max or fed ex store and do not have any fee's for home pickup. The are cheaper then the brown guy and I have had no lost packages in 10 years. motordoc

11. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I've always used a homeowner's rider, but you have to be careful because some policies have restrictions on where you can go. Going to Europe or South America may void some policies' coverage.

J.W.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

The Silver Dollar will not allow you (well me at least) to ship a gun to them. I inquired last year and was told "NO WAY" even though I offered to pay for the service. I can understand their reluctance to take on the liability of a $15k+ trap gun.

Airline insurance is not enough to cover the value (they have a maximum) but I use an auxiliary policy that covers my guns both at home and away.

Don Verna

13. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

I had heard that the Federal law are that should you ship a long gun across state lines, even if you are shipping it to yourself, that you legally are required to ship to an FFL, whom would run a standard Form 4473 on you, charge you forty bucks, etc. To ship the gun back home, same deal would apply in that you have to ship to an FFL, same Form 4473 and forty bucks, etc. Don’t know if that really is true or not, but shipping FedEx or UPS is a pain in the butt all in itself!

Also remember that while you are at the tournament, you are typically traveling around town with your gun. You are dragging it into and out of motel rooms, etc. What are you going to do with it when you go out to a restaurant in the evening? Leave it in the motel room? Take it with you and leave it in the car? Either way, there is some potential for theft.

Get it insured! Airline travel is not that big of a hassle that I would even consider dealing with FedEx shipping both directions, but I would definitely get it insured!

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Yes - Insurance does add up year after year. But the specific insurance I carry on my trapguns will replace them - and I like those terms.

I find that folks who do not like the full value replacement deal on current production guns are usually K-gun owners. The K-80 is a current production gun so the insurance I carry would be priced based on the current prices of a new k-80. If you own a 20 year old K-80, you will pay the same premium as the person who just bought a brand new one. Resale values of the two guns are not even close but you will pay the same premium because it is a replacement type policy. They do not allow you to to set the value of the insurance you want to carry.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

While staying in San Antonio you should keep your gun at the lock up at the club. I also believe they will allow you to ship your gun to them before the shoot, but I would call first to set it up and verify. Insurance for damage/stolen guns is always a high priority if you travel much. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.