1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Sean Hawley

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jennifer, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Sean,

I'm not sure how to get a hold of you, and hope you don't mind me asking on this forum, but I read the recent article on how you shoot doubles "wrong." I tried it and LOVE it. This technique transformed me from an awful doubles shooter who never registered them before (and never truly enjoyed it) to somebody who is picking up extra targets and anxious to begin registering doubles. It's such a breath of fresh air to not be chasing targets into the weeds.

I'm wondering though, why you don't shoot the angle first on Post 1 & 2? Was it to maintain the movement from right to left on all posts?

Thanks a lot, and Good Shooting.

Jennifer Leach, Idaho

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

My guess is because he is right handed, but he will be on to answer your question. Scott

3. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I figured it had something to do with that. I'm right handed too, and I tried it with shooting only the right target first, as he does, and then yesterday tried it by shooting just the angles first on all posts (except 3, I shot the right target first). I kinda liked shooting the angles first on post 1 & 2 also, and was just curious why he decided not to. We tend to have a tailwind at our club and sometimes end up chasing the angled target into the weeds, so it felt better to get that angle out of the way on both sides of the field. I thought about asking him on his Vernal results thread, but felt it was inappropriate to hijack his thread.

It'll probably boil down to doing whatever breaks the most targets, as it usually does, so my question is mostly out of curiosity. Inquiring minds want to know, ha ha.

Jennifer

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Jennifer , a right handed shooter ( Sean )shoots the right target first on all posts so as to bring the gun back into your face for second shot . I have been shooting that way for years now and it works for me . on 4 and 5 pick a spot that works for you and stick with it , it takes practice .on 1 and 2 dont shoot left target first cause you will be pushing gun away from your face on second shot . hope this helps Jeff

5. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

Jennifer, sorry I have not answered. We've been wrapping up the western grand shoot today. Anyway as Jeff mentioned as a right handed shooter I do shoot all my right birds first. The reason I do not shoot the angle birds first on posts 1&2 is because if I did, I'd be moving the gun away from my face, potentially. The reason I began shooting the rights first on 4&5 was so that I'd be bringing the gun into my face on the second shot.

Anyway I'm glad to hear that you are shooting the dbls better. Keep it up and remember to try and be consistant in your approach to them. Pay close attention to where the first bird comes out and try to be aggressive in shooting it.

Keep up the good shooting!!
    Sean

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Sean, I really appreciate it. I figured you were very busy with the Western Grand so no worries. I'm not planning to go for All American points anytime soon, but it's great to know the reasons behind why you shoot doubles "wrong" (LOL). I was one of those people who'd say "Hey - he's shooting doubles wrong!" Not anymore. Now I'll have people approaching me with good intentions, trying to set me back on the straight and narrow. That's OK, they don't know what they're missing. I'm willing to try anything - heck, I switched shoulders and shot left handed in a shoot-off in an Annie Oakley yesterday against an 11 year old so he could win. It's all good.

There aren't too many opportunities to register a lot of doubles here in SW Idaho, compared to So. Cal. where I used to live, and my time is split between my SCTP team and my own shooting, but I'm anxious to begin shooting all three events for the first time next spring.

Thanks again for the help and Good Shooting! ... ps I love Led Zeppelin too ;^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
sean hawley

sean hawley trap shooting

sean hawley trapshooting
what gun does sean hawley shoot