1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Ruger 17HMR owners

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joe blow, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

How is your Ruger shooting? What size groups are you getting? What brand ammo are you using?

2. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I've got one of the first 77-17's that came out and I couldn't be happier with the way it shoots. The only modification I've made to my rifle is replacing the trigger with a Rifle Basix trigger...........awesome trigger.

I've done extensive testing from the bench with every brand of ammo available. In my gun nothing shoots as well as the original Hornady 17 grain ammo.

If there is no wind I get consistent 1/2" - 3/4" groups (5-shots) at 100 yds with the Hornady 17 grain ammo. At 50 yds it'll shoot 1/4" groups.

The other ammo gets around 1" - 1-1/2" in the same rifle at 100 yds.

Hubcap

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I did the same as Hubcap and put a Rifle Basix trigger in mine. That is about the only modification you have to do. My 77/17 shoots CCI 17 grain ammo the best. Again like Hubcap I tried about everything out there.

Bill

4. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

I've had mine for a year or so. Didn't shoot like I thought it should. Today I took it out of the stock and checked the barrel grove. Was careful how I re-assembled it. Tighten all the screws. Went to the range and something changed. It shot very well. Thanks for the replies.

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I think I still have a Sinclair bore guide for a 77/17, would you be interested ? Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.