1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Rollin Oswald.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by revsublime, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Rollin, hope you get this soon. I've just purchased a new gun and took it to the range to try it out. It did what i expected and left a nice goose egg under my eye. So as soon as I got home I pulled out your Stock Fitting Secrets book and began my work. Recalling that cheek slap was pretty much a function of pitch I pulled the pitch wedge off my old BT and figured I'd put it on my SKB.
    I recall you telling one person that the stock-fitter that suggested that they shim out the toe of the pad was incorrect, yet it is what I had to do with my BT and it appears that the angled shim is built to push the toe out (narrow part of the ovoid shaped wedge is the thick part while the wide part corresponding with the heel of the butt is the thin part). Have I got things confused? Do they make shims in both styles?

I have broad shoulders and a thin chest and a long neck. Normally I have to drop the recoil pad down as far as i can get it so that I am not craning my neck down over the comb. This, of course, puts the top of the comb well over the level of the top of my shoulder which puts the line of recoil nearly over my shoulder. On my BT this did cause some pivoting on the toe but I found that much more tolerable than cheek slap.

Any suggestions?

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I'm sorry it took me so long to notice your thread.

Yes, shims can supposedly be ordered with the thicker part at the toe although I have not seen one.

Theoretically, shimming the toe outward would be necessary if the pitch on the stock was too great or if, for a number of reasons, the butt was sliding up on the shoulder during recoil. The toe would then dig into the chest to a greater extent and decrease the upward slide of the butt.

For most shooters, the pitch is correct when the entire pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with the shoulder pocket when the gun is mounted using the same posture as that when the gun is fired.

Lowering the pad, i.e. increasing the drop at the heel, sometimes causes cheek slap or increases it. The effective of the line of recoil is the bore and the portion of the recoil pad that makes greatest contact with the shoulder. That is why it is best to make that point the collar bone and the heel of the stock.
    The greater the distance between that point of contact and the bore, the greater the barrel-rise during recoil.

Suggestions:

With your gun mounted, how secure does the butt seem on your shoulder? Do you notice any tendency for it to slide via movement of your vest on your shirt?

Ask someone to watch you shoot. Have them pay attention to any movement of the butt on your shoulder when you fire.

When you mount the gun so the toe and heel make simultaneous contact with your shoulder, where is the barrel pointing - how far up in the air?

For a faster reply, might I suggest you email me? I don't login to this site nearly as often as I check emails.

Rollin

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Thanks for your reply Rollin. I think Ive got it fixed. I just flipped the shim around so that it increased the positive pitch. So far, so good. Should I have any more problems I will definitely email you.

Brian

4. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

100 straight products sells the negative and positive pitch spacers.. Should be in Trap and Field. I saw them in Precision Reloading catalog last nite. I think they come in two thickneses. I am of the mind we need a molded recoil pad, soft material that we could mount our guns and have an epoxy like curing process that would firm up, but still be soft on the shoulder. A custom fit. A sort of gel.

5. Rollin Oswald

Brian;

Email me.

Rollin

6. Rollin Oswald

ATRIM UDF;

Thank you for the tapered spacer information. I know about the different thicknesses but was not sure about the different tapers.

Your idea about molding recoil pads is something I thought of a number of years ago. I decided it would not be practical for several reasons: Holding the gun in place while the pad cured would be nearly impossible. Lying on one's back would offer much the same problems in addition to that of preventing the weight of the gun from deforming the material while it is curing. A jig could probably be built to support the gun while the shooter stood against the pad but it would not be a do-it-yourself project.

And Yes, I know, a blond, scantily clad, cheerleader in a short skirt could support the weight of the gun but the shooter could become severely distracted and start to squirm around and deform the curing, pad material.

All in all, with adequate R & D money, the concept could probably be perfected.

I also considered an extension from the toe of the stock that would lock under the armpit but that idea has its own set of serious problems.

Rollin

7. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Rollin,
    Instead of hold and mold-in-place, how about a clay type material to make an impression, then packaged and shipped out, make a cast of the impression,then make the pad from the cast? I know they do it for earplugs and insoles.

Hawk,

8. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Thanks for the info Antrim UDF!

Emailed ya Rollin.

9. Rollin Oswald

Hawk;

That might just work but it would reduce the number of possible summer jobs for cheerleasers.

Rollin

10. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Rollin,
    I've been looking to hire one. You know of any?

Hawk,

11. Rollin Oswald

The local DA cautioned me that continuing to contact them or provide information on contacting them for others, could have serious legal implications. Cheerleaders? We don't got no cheerleaders!

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.